Search the forum,

Discuss Taking deposit on jobs in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

hammers4spanner

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
My local rag had article about how a local builder went into liquidation after taking a large deposit on a job. End result the customers are skint and left with a property in disrepair.

The comment section has remarks about how any decent company would never take a deposit. Also how builders have accounts and they should foot the costings etc.

Still makes me wonder how customers minds work at times .

I've always taken a deposit and most people understand.

Had a few people question it when I explain to them I'm a small company if i get taken for 2k it could mean i cant pay my mortgage or Bill's for a month.

On the flip side though have you ever asked a builder for a deposit? I very rarely do work for builders as not 1 will pay a deposit if I do ots direct for the customer.

I am pretty fortunate, I know all my customers and don’t necessarily go looking for new ones so rarely have to ask for a deposit.
However for most of you guys I would definitely ask for a deposit when you work for someone you dont know .

My way of looking at it is

You book a holiday you have to pay a deposit.

You buy a car you pay a deposit you may not get the car for a few months though.

You buy anything in shops you pay before you leave.

Why should trades be the only thing that have to offer people credit (as that's what it is) and hope they pay on completion.

If all customers paid in full on the day of invoice, then small traders would have a better cashflow.

If all trades turned up on larger domestic jobs on the day they were supposed to and did what they'd been asked, then jobs wouldn't drag on longer than expected.

If customers didn't change thier mind part way through.....

If small traders charged a lot more for their work and built up a decent bit of cash, then deposits wouldn't be needed but of course the customer would pay more.

Of course none of the above will happen.

If you buy a house you have to pay 10% at Exchange (or an ammount agreed by all parties) and don't get access to the house.

If you buy Cars, furniture and a lot of other goods you usually have to pay a deposit.

I'm sure I had to pay a deposit at Boots when I had my last pair of glasses.

Fact is, even with the most honorable of intentions, **** happns. I only started taking deposits when a customer suddenly died on me. I was left with specically ordered kit I could not return and it took me 9 months to flog it to get my money back - meaning in real terms I lost out.

Since then I take a deposit of all materials & sub contractor money. Only three have ever queried and I walked away.

I always ask for a 50% deposit when the customer signs my paperwork and this is clearly detailed in my terms and conditions of sale, as well as their rights to a cancellation period. The balance is payable upon completion and I usually take this on that day via a card machine.
A lot of the bathrooms I've worked on can take up to 2 weeks to complete, and the materials I have to buy are very expensive. I also don't have an income for those two weeks until the job is completed, so a deposit covers the cost of the materials and keeps me ticking over until the job is finished.
Far bigger home improvement companies here all take a deposit, so it's common practice.
As long as you protect yourself and include the consumer rights act 2015 with a customer's right to cancel, you're doing everything legal and above board.

Reply to Taking deposit on jobs in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi! Our main stopcock is weeping. I phoned the water company, first-person thought it was their problem as it was on the 'outside' of the water meter. Then another person called me to schedule a visit and they told me that its not their problem as both the water meter and the leaky stopcock are...
Replies
Views
So I bought my first flat recently (am in UK) and in a bit of a pickle as the bathroom has turned up lots of problems that weren't picked up by the survey. I have had loads of plumbers over, and have always carefully checked their reviews/tried to vet them as much as possible. However, I've had...
Replies
Views
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2023/05/12/the-heat-pump-farce-has-finally-been-exposed/?li_source=LI&li_medium=liftigniter-rhr I realise not many have a sub to Telegraph (neither do I) but this is the article in full. As for the statement by BG, I haven't corroborated it but it seems an odd...
Replies
Views
Hi there, thanks for your time to look at this record long post!! I work on the operational management side or a small building contracting firm. This question is for my own house setup. We are really fortunate to have a large house, about 5,000sqft in total over 3 floors. It was built around...
Replies
Views
H
Hi there, thanks for your time to look at this record long post!! I work on the operational management side or a small building contracting firm. This question is for my own house setup. We are really fortunate to have a large house, about 5,000sqft in total over 3 floors. It was built around...
Replies
Views
HRP123
H
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock