Discuss switching to plumbing in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,

Just Wondering who has come from an office job and is now plumbing?

Do you think it was the right decision?

What do you like/dislike about it?

Cheers

its nothing like the papers say, pay is up and down, plumbing on its own doesn't earn you enough money, omho and to get experience will take most to long as you need cash coming in to survive. I survived doing property maintenance whilst converting to heating and plumbing and had rents fm property to live on, dont see how you can do it if you have family etc to support.

I'm not too bothered about money as I know how much I can earn, I was a plumber for 10 years but moved to working in a finance department in an office thinking i would be happier in that job, but finding it extremely boring and feels like the day drags. Sitting at a desk all day is killing me. Money would most probably be better if I stuck at it as in 3 years I could be a chartered accountant but not sure it's worth it if you aren't happy.
just did my dad's tax return and he did really well last year doing plumbing.

long hours, poor money............... whats not to like :)

Why everyone says poor money. If your doing long hours and poor money you must be selling yourself short.
as a plumber doing normal hours you should be earning between 30k to 40k minimum, if not your doing something wrong

depends on many factors, yes if your doing good private work for customers who are willing to pay good money then you can make a go of it. If your going to subby or work an area with alot of cheap installers you will be better off with a direct job. Going day rate around my parts is ÂŁ100-ÂŁ120 a day. 30k is a bad wage for a self employed person, take away running cost and your close to a wage of 20k you really need to be at 50k to equal a good direct technical job imo.

Normal hours dont exist for most self employed plumbers, you have to be flexible and give up weekends and nights alot of the times. if you have young kids etc... and want to spend time with them or family it can be hard at times. (i dont have kids yet)

i guess you get what you put into the job at the end of the day.

the biggest shock from an office job would prob be the cost just to turn up at the customers door, the time you will spend working unpaid. turning up to a place of work with your lunch box and a newspaper and turning up with 20k's of equipment and expenditure is a big difference.

Last edited:
as a plumber doing normal hours you should be earning between 30k to 40k minimum, if not your doing something wrong

that mate is a crock of poo.
i completely understand your logic but the sad fact is that there are simply just too many plumbers these days. every man and his dog went chasing the pipe dream after the govt. said plumbing was a cash cow.

the reality is too much competition. we could all earn a decent wage in normal hours if there was the work available. sadly too many quality plumbers are sat waiting for the phone to ring, far too often

When I say 30-40k I mean profit after expenditure, don't understand why this thread has turned to money I know what I can earn as my dad has just had to quit as a plumber due to having a stroke and he was charging between ÂŁ60-ÂŁ75 per hour and was busy all the time.
As long as I can earn a minimum of 30k I'm happy, not doing it for the money but more for the freedom and being my own boss again, if it was about money I would stay in accountancy.

strange you feel u don't have time for kids as I felt I spent more time with mine when I was a self employed plumber, would occasionally take them to school, pick them up, have time off to take them to appointments, go to the sports day, etc now I'm in an office have to be here between 9-5.30.

I wish I was in your shoes plumb-tec.
If you gave most plumbers half of what your dad was earning they'd snap your hand off.
Unless youre in central london?
If that's the money you can earn, i'm suprised you haven't quit your office job a long time ago.
You could even afford to employ somebody to do the work for you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to switching to plumbing in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic...
Replies
Views
I have a plumber coming tomorrow to change a cartridge on a badly dripping tap on my bathroom mixer unit. There is no separate isolating valve for...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock