Search the forum,

Discuss Struggling to undo the shroud of the tap to replace the valve, how? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi

I have a kitchen tap with a leak, I would like to undo the top and replace the valve but I cannot see how to do it. I have tried.
1. Sticking a screwdriver down the hole in the top, both Phillips and flat blade but that couldn't find any traction.
2. looking for a screw just under the tap head... but there are none.
3. I have undone the shroud/casing but I cannot lift if off the valve due to the tap handle.

Anybody, could you put me out of my misery and tell me how to do it?

Thanks in anticipation that I am being stupid........

Attachments

• 20211116_165452.jpg
    20211116_165452.jpg
    424.7 KB · Views: 27
  • 20211116_165819.jpg
    20211116_165819.jpg
    412 KB · Views: 28
I would say 3 possibilities:
1. There is a screw under the index cap. However, you say there is none.
2. There is a grub screw in the side of the handles holding it on to the spindle.
3. It just pulls off.

Hi

I have a kitchen tap with a leak, I would like to undo the top and replace the valve but I cannot see how to do it. I have tried.
1. Sticking a screwdriver down the hole in the top, both Phillips and flat blade but that couldn't find any traction.
Can you not see the head of a fixing down the hole? Could be hex allen key? (or even torx!)
2. looking for a screw just under the tap head... but there are none.
Do any of the crosshead 'arms' of the tap unscrew?
3. I have undone the shroud/casing but I cannot lift if off the valve due to the tap handle.
If it's a multi-turn tap, can you (water off) turn the tap fully on and then get a spanner/wrench onto the valve body in the gap below the shroud?
Anybody, could you put me out of my misery and tell me how to do it?
If no signs of joints or screws anywhere, sorry 🤔 😀

Can you not see the head of a fixing down the hole? Could be hex allen key? (or even torx!)

Do any of the crosshead 'arms' of the tap unscrew?

If it's a multi-turn tap, can you (water off) turn the tap fully on and then get a spanner/wrench onto the valve body in the gap below the shroud?

If no signs of joints or screws anywhere, sorry 🤔 😀
Thankyou for your comprehensive response Basher.

I like your idea about the hex/torx key but i have looked and dont see anything down there, i have ordered some long reach hex keys to try them out.

I dont see any crosshead arms or screw fixings and it looks like one moulded piece which leads me to think it could be an unscrew the whole thing, will try on the weekend when the water is off. but when I have unscrewed the water to its full on i dont have enough space under the shroud to get a spanner into, its only about 4mm and the round brass valve bottom.

Many thanks will come back to you on the weekend.

I would say 3 possibilities:
1. There is a screw under the index cap. However, you say there is none.
2. There is a grub screw in the side of the handles holding it on to the spindle.
3. It just pulls off.
I like your thinking Steadyon,

I discarded 1 and 2 when i couldnt find anything at all and it tap head looked like one moulded piece of metal so more brutally went to option 3 and used an adjustable wrench to up hammer the tap head, thats my plumbing technique coming out, while this may have worked I think it also contributed to my partial leak which was after my "up hammer". Sometimes brutal manhandling works and sometimes not, I am a little to much force may lead to a catastrophic failure. I am going to try some allen keys I have ordered on the back of Bashers comments.

Many thanks for your contribution, much appreciated.

IF it just pulls off, and it's a rising spindle mechanism, then you can sometimes open the tap fully, wedge something under the shroud or between the shroud and the tap head and then start to shut the tap. The tap mechanism then provides a screw thread that gives you a lot of leverage and the head jacks itself off. Doing this without damaging the chrome is a black art, but often easier to achieve than by using a hammer technique.

Sure there isn't a (very rusty and no longer usable) screwhead under the index cap that may need drilling out?

Reply to Struggling to undo the shroud of the tap to replace the valve, how? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock