Search the forum,

Discuss Struggling to get divertor knob off shower mixer tap in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Lambchopper

I've got one of the following taps, but the divertor knob is really stiff and difficult to lift up. It's not helped by the fact the knob itself is a simple straight flush finish so there's nothing to grip on.

http://www.diy.com/departments/cook...-mixer-tap/590865_BQ.prd?icamp=recs&rrec=true

I want to take it off and see if I can buy a replacement somewhere, but I'm struggling to take it off. I've tried turning it (as suggested in YouTube videos), but it just spins and won't come off. I'm guessing I may well be missing something obvious, can anyone give me some pointers?

Thanks

I've got one of the following taps, but the divertor knob is really stiff and difficult to lift up. It's not helped by the fact the knob itself is a simple straight flush finish so there's nothing to grip on.

http://www.diy.com/departments/cook...-mixer-tap/590865_BQ.prd?icamp=recs&rrec=true

I want to take it off and see if I can buy a replacement somewhere, but I'm struggling to take it off. I've tried turning it (as suggested in YouTube videos), but it just spins and won't come off. I'm guessing I may well be missing something obvious, can anyone give me some pointers?

Thanks

I had recently similar issue an unknown tap. I just used wd40 and it worked fine afterwards, no complaints ever since. I asked her 1 month later and she said it works absolutely fine.

Can you get installation or care instructions?
For that price there should be a care line or something?

May find that you access it from where the shower hose fits ! or its pressed in & can-not be removed.

Had a look at ours and it does not come off, and not supposed to evidently, and it's clogging up with limescale so will have to change whole tap.

How old is it? According to your link it comes with a 10 year guarantee.

I've had some success in the past using hot vinegar to free a similar mechanism but the solution (hah, see what I did there?) was short-lived because hard water hates this type of tap. So I'd recommend replacement with a design that is more easily serviceable when limescale builds up.

C.

The issue is the metal it's made of. They do come apart, but as they are more zinc than brass corrosion literally destroys it by chemically binding it all together.

Apologies, but you are best off binning it and buying a tap made of proper brass - if you can find one.

BTW, make sure the one you buy has cartridges that will give you a decent flow rate and is appropriate for your local pressure. Many, such as Hudson Reed, are only tested at 4 bar so leak like sieves at 4 bar plus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Struggling to get divertor knob off shower mixer tap in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock