Search the forum,

Discuss Strange fault in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

southcoastboile

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
We installed a new booster pump as the old one had packed up and a new bar mixer shower.

if the shower head is he'd down lower the booster pump kicks in. If you hold it up it doesn't.

we couldn't get the same make and model booster pump so I'm not sure if that's the issue. If you put the shower down to activate the pump initially and then put it back up higher to the normal position it works fine.

i was wondering if a larger shower head would do the trick? Or is it something wrong with the new pump or the wrong type?

Thanks for any advise.

Not enough head so not enough flow to kick pump in. As said, negative head.

Not enough head so not enough flow to kick pump in. As said, negative head.

exactly,op may be able to get over it with a prompt switch,bristan make them,they basically energize the flow switch in the pump

Apparently it worked with the old pump though? I did think it might be due to the height of the cws tank but as he said it worked fine before I ruled it out. Perhaps the flow sensor is not as sensitive on this pump? I'm wondering if a bigger shower head would do it as you can lift it up once pump has kicked in and it works okay?
Thanks for all the advise so far.

Additional resistance in the new bar mixer. Stronger double check valves?

Apparently it worked with the old pump though? I did think it might be due to the height of the cws tank but as he said it worked fine before I ruled it out. Perhaps the flow sensor is not as sensitive on this pump? I'm wondering if a bigger shower head would do it as you can lift it up once pump has kicked in and it works okay?
Thanks for all the advise so far.

Was the old pump a negative head pump?

Not sure what the old pump was.

That's okay rocketman. I'm not great on booster pumps to be honest.

I might give the bigger shower head a try and see what happens. Jobs turning into a right pain!

Sounds like it. I got one also but the custard is fully aware it's not the best solution so I've covered my butt

did you remove the old pump and if so did it have a small pressure vessel attached to it...regards Turnpin:smile5:

I bet the original pump supply pipework is the usual 15mm long and tortures restrictive bodge that was just about able to supply the old set up.

As said the new pump and bar mixer may be just that little bit more restrictive leading to a drop showerhead to start pump situation.

I have been asked to advise on similar problem with monsoon pump. Fixed head won't work, shower head needs to be dangling on hose to start. Apart from minimal head CWS/Pump and avoidable elbows everything OK. Thought it one off but apparently not. Please update with solution.

Negative head pump fitted and that should be it solved

Need a negative head pump. I've had the same before with a client and as the price of the n/h pump was almost twice the price they'd agreed to have the ordinary 1.5 bar twin imp pump installed, as the height of the cwsc was lower than the shower head.
Fitted a surrey flange, and independent cold water feed from cwsc. Works fine once the shower is lowered to bath tap level. Constant balanced hot and cold to the shower thermostatic mixer.
Hope this helped

The old pump didn't have a vessel attached.
The cws tank is higher than the shower head as its in the loft but perhaps it's not quite high enough.
ill see if I can remove non returns in shower and see if the water level in cws tank can be raised via ball valve.

That's the answer. Definitely not enough pressure to get the pump to kick. Obviously lowering the shower head to tap height increased flow allows pump to operate. Hope it goes well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Strange fault in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
IS IT POSSIBLE TO ADJUST THIS MIXER UNIT? WE HAVE TO HAVE IT TURNED ALMOST FULLY ANTI CLOCKWISE TO GET HOT WATEROUT. THE FRONT PLATE WITH MIRA ON IT PRISES OFF AND INSIDE THERE ARE SOME PLASTIC BITS AND A SMALL CROSS-HEAD SCREW IN THE MIDDLE. THANKS
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock