Discuss stench pipe missing and stinks in all bathrooms in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

ashman

I recently moved into a house and have an awful stench from the 2 bathrooms upstairs and not as bad from the downstairs toilet.

Background of trying to resolve the issue.

I have had home serve come the property twice and cannot find no reason as why there is a stench, the drainage is clear and no blockage.
I have two toilets upstairs and each one is fed from a separate sewage pipe in the man whole I have two pipe, one at the top and one at the bottom, both operational and connected to each toilet. the downstairs toilet is shared with the bottom pipe.
The property was extended over 8 years ago but I cannot see any stench piping on the side of the house or on the roof.

Questions.

1) Is having a stench pipe fitting part of the building regulations which should be passed by the local authority or this is not a legal requirement.
2) If the plans show a stench pipe should be fitted and is not what legal options do I have, as I had the house surveyed before purchasing it?

How to fix.

1) Are there any simple methods to fix this issue?
2) I have seen a product called a retro fir non return valve, will that work from flex seal uk
3) what is the worse case, Is it possible and what does that involve to fit a stench pipe? estimated costs

This is really doing my head in, to a point I can smell the sewage in the dining room underneath where the piping is.

thanks all your help in advance

Re: stench pipe missing and stinks in all bathroomsmissing and stinks in all bathroom

Welcome to the forums
Have a look for the pipe exiting in the loft / attic

Re: stench pipe missing and stinks in all bathroomsmissing and stinks in all bathroom

Welcome to the forum

It could be boxed internally with an AAV that is blocked open allowing the smell back up

It could be boxed internally with an AAV that is blocked open allowing the smell back up

Good point in which case 6"x6" boxing in a corner?

Good point in which case 6"x6" boxing in a corner?

thank you all for your responses.

1) I climbed into the loft and did not see any pipe coming from anywhere, so failing that I do have a 6 X 6 boxing but that start from the downstairs toilet which soil pipe is connected to the upstairs toilet directly above it.
I read somewhere that the AAV has to be highest point? In the toilet upstairs there is a cavity boxing where the toilet runs and the sink but its all tiled and has no entry.
I am prepared to rip up these areas but like to see what is the most likely place to do the to locate the valve, if it exists.
Oh I have another toilet upstairs that has its own separate soil pipe same issue again, stinks. would that have its own value too im guessing?

thanks all for your help so far!

I am prepared to rip up these areas but like to see what is the most likely place to do the to locate the valve, if it exists. [/COLOR]

Before you start to let rip consider a flexible inspection camera? Worth some £`s after use or you may decide to keep it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to stench pipe missing and stinks in all bathrooms in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock