Discuss Speed fit reducer disaster in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi guys..... and girls if we have some, good morning to all of you.

Last week, I had a sh*t day.
I plumbed in a whirlpool bath and used speedfit pipe and connectors. Brilliant,

Use these all the time as ive been bathroom fitter for many years.

However, massive issue accurred.

Using two 3/4 tap connetor flexi with a 22 compressionon on the end, with a 22 to 15 speedfit reducer inserted and tightened.

Left it like this all day live , with no issues.

Customer called me and said the Cold speedfit reducer had blown out of the compression end of the flexi.

This being a balanced thermo stored water system sent water everywhere.

Question. Why did this fitting get blown off .

1. Fitting securely inserted.
2. Pushed in and olive and nut done up tight.

I could understand a weeping leak but not both hot and cold speedfit reducers being blown off.

First one happened in the morning

Then the second one on the hot side blew off as well.

Never had this this happen before.

Can you guys.........and girls shed any light. Lucky the water went straight though the ceiling through the recess light fitting saving the plasterboard ceiling.....phew. ruined the laminate in the utilty though.

I've (for DIY) had some trouble with weeping compression joints onto plastic (copper olive, correct insert) so I avoid where possible and use a length of copper into the next speedfit connector, it's easy enough and the speedfit connectors handle copper no trouble.

Personally I think speedfit had to "allow" compression connections otherwise noone would buy it, but it's not ideal, a bodge at best, wheras the speedfit couplers are designed for the purpose.

Reply to Speed fit reducer disaster in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock