Search the forum,

Discuss Southern gas networks. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhoenixServices

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Went to do a llgsc today. Long story short quite a few faults. The main one being that the ecv was letting by.

Wasnt a massive amount but was showing on my kane as rising by 0.25mb.
Tested it 4 times to be sure it wasn't just stabilising in the heat.
It also rose during stabilisation and while doing the tightness test.

Called out national grid (southern gas networks) who came out to swap the ecv. The guy was basically an arse and said I was wasting their time as nothing showed up on his water gauge.

Was I being too picky or was he a jobsworth do you reckon?

Appreciate any feedback.

did you spray inside the ecv?

I stupidly didn't, as I was a bit hot and flustered as it was last job of the day and already late. So just capped and called them.
May pop in tommorrow as will reissue the ticket now it has been checked.

I stupidly didn't, as I was a bit hot and flustered as it was last job of the day and already late. So just capped and called them.
May pop in tommorrow as will reissue the ticket now it has been checked.

tbh your supposed to and it might of not been leaking as its been very warm today

.25 of a mb is no perceivable movement isn't it? But better to be safe than sorry.

Well I've got a reference number so I'm happy as my butt is covered and if he is happy then all sorted.
Now to move the boiler as the flue is too close to a Velux and you can't get the case off as their isn't 600mm clearance. Plus all the electrics are accessible in a bathroom.

Also I now know to remember to check and spray the ecv.

Yeah I thought .25 on a water gauge was nowt

.5 on water gauge and .25 on electronic, so if the op had used an electronic gauge and the board man used a water gauge the boardman would not have seen a permissible drop

oops, could have sworn I wrote .25 on water gauge and .2 reading to one decimal place and .25 reading to two on digital.
cheers for the correction thereisawizza, glad someone is on the pulse

Went to do a llgsc today. Long story short quite a few faults. The main one being that the ecv was letting by.

Wasnt a massive amount but was showing on my kane as rising by 0.25mb.
Tested it 4 times to be sure it wasn't just stabilising in the heat.
It also rose during stabilisation and while doing the tightness test.

Called out national grid (southern gas networks) who came out to swap the ecv. The guy was basically an arse and said I was wasting their time as nothing showed up on his water gauge.

Was I being too picky or was he a jobsworth do you reckon?

Appreciate any feedback.

If the gauge reading moves during let-by test - it's a fail, i.e. no perceptible movement is allowed.

My understanding
Let by = raise pressure between 7 & 10 Mb no perceivable rise + 0.20 Mb electronic 0.25 Mb water gauge = pass
Tightness = raise pressure between 20 & 21 Mb stabilise 1 Min
Then time for 2 Mins pass if no perceivable - 0.20mb electronic, 0.25 mb water gauge

Last edited by a moderator:
My understanding
Let by = raise pressure between 7 & 10 Mb no perceivable rise + 0.20 Mb electronic 0.25 Mb water gauge = pass
Tightness = raise pressure between 20 & 21 Mb stabilise 1 Min
Then time for 2 Mins pass if no perceivable - 0.20mb electronic, 0.25 mb water gauge

You got it.

Last edited:
My view is that if there is any doubt then kick the can down the road and ring it in. You have then done your bit. As an NG bod, i go to a lot of these. I really dont care if its a false alarm and there really is no need for anyone to be arsey about it. Me, i just have a natter and a brew, pass a bit of time and clock up another job. Whats not too like? A small squirt of bubbles ,,just a trace,,will always show if its passing. I always carry a small magnifying glass for closer inspection. As i say, if in doubt ,,call it in.

Don't use these pigging electronic manometers!

Think some are getting bit mixed up on 'Perceptible Movement'
If you can detect a movement on your U-gauge during let-by test for example, no mater how small, it is inferred as being perceptible and failed.
This is then assumed as having dropped 0.25mb as this is the lowest estimated reading you can make with any degree of accuracy.
Electronic readings are taken as having dropped 0.2mb as this is the lowest standard reading set by standards.

You got it.

I once had a discussion with a mate of mine who had gotten audited on a heating job he did about 2 month before and they found a 2mb leak (it was the cooker) and he got pulled into the office for "interrogation by the high heed yins" as he had put on his paperwork it was sound.
They asked him to explain the test procedure and he said 1 min stabilisation, 2 min test then drop the pressure on the gauge to 10 and check for let by.
I said thats not the way its laid down in the book. What did they say? He said i couldn't give 2 fks what they said!
After a bit discussion i had to agree it probably is a better way cos you are not moving the valve again during the test so is a definite.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Southern gas networks. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock