Search the forum,

Discuss Somerset Gasman jailed for three years.... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pssst

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
BBC News - Gas fitter Andrew Hartley jailed over Zoe Anderson's death

Am googling to find out the finer details. This case has been pending for some time.

I am wondering whether the concentric flue assembly came apart,the boiler still fired ..drawing combustion air from the room and feeding CO2 + H2O into the room. The air eventually became vitiated and Oxygen deficient thus leading to CO production.

Tragic.

It just shows the weight of responsibility that the public and the courts place on us.

Although it is a terrible tragedy for all concerned,what cannot help but compare and contrast with even worse occurrences such as those perpetrated by corporate bodies such as Network Rail where after years and millions of pounds worth of deliberations, no one gets jailed and no sinle person is found responsible for rail crashes.

Last edited:
Details are in the latest Gas Safe mag.

Evidently the flue wasn't connected into the turret leaving a 30mm gap.
P

I;m guessing it was simply an oversight and that he simply forgot to put the screws in.

Could have happened to anyone.

I;m guessing it was simply an oversight and that he simply forgot to put the screws in.

Could have happened to anyone.

Forgetting one screw is an oversight and can happen to anyone.

Quote from Gas Mag.

"The first horizontal section of the flue extension was not inserted or screwed into the flue turret at the time of inspection, leaving a gap of around 35mm. This had allow CO to escape into the house with tragic results.
The flue, which was about 3m long was composed of four parts- three extensions, the flue terminal passing through the outside wall and the turret on top of the boiler at a 90 deg bend."
The first flue extension part wasn't inserted into the flue turret. The manufacturer requires that all the joints should be screwed and they hadn't been."
"The manufacturer required that the flue assembly is supported at exery joint by a bracket, and there was only one bracket, which had been made by the installer, across the whole flue assembly, which meant that the flue sagged."

The report goes on to condemn other parts of the installation.

'An oversight'. I think not!

I dont get the gas mag. I had thought that he had simply forgotten to secure the flue turret rather than an unsupported horizontal extension.

no excuse for what this guy did,his deplorable work cost someone there life

I originally thought that it must have been an oversight but I didn't realise how bad the job was until I read the report.
It was a shameful bodge job by someone who knew better.

I honestly think he got off lightly with three years, out in eighteen months or less.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Somerset Gasman jailed for three years.... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock