Discuss Some advice on TRVs and wall stats please in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TallulahGosh

In need of a bit of advice if possible?

Recently moved house and just trying to get to grips with the heating system before it gets cold enough to actually need it!

All rads bar one have a TRV. A couple seem to be stuck in the MAX position but I'm hoping a bit of WD40 will sort that tomorrow. My main problem is that the one radiator without a TRV is in the hall, directly next to the front door. As there isn't a wall stat anywhere in the house, the hallway rad is scalding as soon as the heating goes on and then stays that way. The hall gets ridiculously hot and with the rad's position it's only a matter of time before myself or my daughter burn ourselves on it - clumsiness runs in the family! I have noticed that the rad is in a tight spot, only just fitting between a wall and the front room doorway and has no covers on the valves at either end - I have no idea if this has any significance but as it's the only one like that in the house, thought it was worth a mention.

Is there an obvious reason to the trained eye why the heating would have been set up this way?
Also, what is the simplest, most practical solution that will enable me to control the heat in the hallway?

I'm not the most competent when it comes to plumbing related DIY...although I can fix a leaking urinal at 4am any day of the week...so chances are I will get a local guy to come and do any work for me. I'd just like to know what I'm talking about before I get to that bit - makes me feel less of a bimbo! :bucktooth:

yes its a heat leak

Oh, all bimbos welcome here!
Hall should probably have a room stat (interlock) really to make it work properly. Turning down boiler temp will help a bit with hall rad until it gets really cold. You've moved into a new house so ideally get a heating engineer in to service boiler and advice on system.

The rad could probably be balanced down a little but it will always get to the temp set on the boiler controls. You need a room stat fitting, maybe a wireless one fitted in your largest living space and the trv's moved from that rad to the hall.

Hall should probably have a room stat (interlock) really to make it work properly. Turning down boiler temp will help a bit with hall rad until it gets really cold. You've moved into a new house so ideally get a heating engineer in to service boiler and advice on system.

The rad could probably be balanced down a little but it will always get to the temp set on the boiler controls. You need a room stat fitting, maybe a wireless one fitted in your largest living space and the trv's moved from that rad to the hall.

Thanks for the help guys....and thanks for pre-empting my next half dozen questions! I was thinking last night that a wireless room stat in the front room and a TRV on the hall would probably make the most sense. Presumably, even if there is some reason a TRV can't be fitted on the hallway rad, once a room stat is in place the hall rad will cool down once the main living space reaches the thermostat temp setting, whereas at the moment it's just belting out heat no matter how warm or cold the rest of the house is.

Now to find me a local man who can :teeth_smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the help guys....and thanks for pre-empting my next half dozen questions! I was thinking last night that a wireless room stat in the front room and a TRV on the hall would probably make the most sense. Presumably, even if there is some reason a TRV can't be fitted on the hallway rad, once a room stat is in place the hall rad will cool down once the main living space reaches the thermostat temp setting, whereas at the moment it's just belting out heat no matter how warm or cold the rest of the house is.

Don't know if I read that wrong but where ever you place the room stat needs to have lock shield valves on that rad eg

Room stat in hall, hall rad with lock shields rad valves
Room stat in living room, living room rad with lock shields rad valves

Don't know if I read that wrong but where ever you place the room stat needs to have lock shield valves on that rad eg

Room stat in hall, hall rad with lock shields rad valves
Room stat in living room, living room rad with lock shields rad valves

Hi Shaun, thanks for the reply. I doubt you read it wrong...it's more the fact that I don't have a scooby what I'm talking about! I'm at work so can't check but from memory the rad in the hall does have a valve at either end - there are no plastic covers on them, just the little metal bit sticking up (technical, stuff, I know!) and they look like the ones we had on rads when I was a kid, before stuff got confusing!

For the uninitiated...what's a lock shield valve?!

Hi Shaun, thanks for the reply. I doubt you read it wrong...it's more the fact that I don't have a scooby what I'm talking about! I'm at work so can't check but from memory the rad in the hall does have a valve at either end - there are no plastic covers on them, just the little metal bit sticking up (technical, stuff, I know!) and they look like the ones we had on rads when I was a kid, before stuff got confusing!

For the uninitiated...what's a lock shield valve?!

Best is to take a pick but if it's like a little 2mm pin then that's a trv missing the head but if it's somthinv like 4mm dia with a flat on the top that's a lock shield

14444044348311528460110.jpg14444045052961634316576.jpg

Been a long time since I posted pics in a forum....fingers crossed this works!

works and lockshield

Post your location, somebody on here may be able to help.

The room with your new room stat can't have a trv as they will compete as Shaun has said.

I'm in Runcorn, Cheshire. Someone has to live there unfortunately

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Some advice on TRVs and wall stats please in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock