Search the forum,

Discuss Solvent weld gap filler? in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

mutley racers

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
Hi all. Has anyone used this stuff before when having a weep on a solvent joint? I got a joint on the soil pipe connecting to the underground drainage pipe which would be a nightmare to rip out?

Attachments

• 16282717286763932961717142569981.jpg
    16282717286763932961717142569981.jpg
    521.3 KB · Views: 27
Can’t solvent underground it’s a different material

Not underground as that’s why they only sell it in push fit

Chip it off and use a pushfit coupling

I see floplast drainage pipe is made of UPVC which is what solvent weldis made of
It will work as long as it’s pvc. The reason underground is push fit, is to allow the fitting to take up any ground movement, where a solvent weld would snap.

Rough up the pipe to remove the shine and use gap filler/thicker solvent, not the standard stuff, it’s too thin.

It will work as long as it’s pvc. The reason underground is push fit, is to allow the fitting to take up any ground movement, where a solvent weld would snap.

Rough up the pipe to remove the shine and use gap filler/thicker solvent, not the standard stuff, it’s too thin.
The question is, would you use it on a pipe that is going to be boxed in and tiled? Would it be like using solvent weld and melt the pipe together or does it just set hard and seal the gap.

The question is, would you use it on a pipe that is going to be boxed in and tiled? Would it be like using solvent weld and melt the pipe together or does it just set hard and seal the gap.
No I wouldn’t. Cut out and redo.

Get a pushfit coupling for the bottom, short piece of pipe, then a pushfit slip coupling for the top.

I have only used it instead of solvent wend cement for loose fittings,
maybe a rubber glove and force it into the leaking area
I am bemused why it is leaking. It felt like a good fit, I cleaned the pipe thoroughly and used pipe cleaner (usually just use emery) and there is a wee gap at the back. I tested it a few times and it was dry. Today it rained and I saw a damp patch behind it. Rain going down the vent. Bemused

I am bemused why it is leaking. It felt like a good fit, I cleaned the pipe thoroughly and used pipe cleaner (usually just use emery) and there is a wee gap at the back. I tested it a few times and it was dry. Today it rained and I saw a damp patch behind it. Rain going down the vent. Bemused
If its just rainwater, can you cut off the fitting and fit this into the orange pipe?
1628280190985.png

It has a toilet and vent coming off of it. Would need to break out the concrete and cut the pipe further down and then use that fitting. Thanks for the suggestion though.

It has a toilet and vent coming off of it. Would need to break out the concrete and cut the pipe further down and then use that fitting. Thanks for the suggestion though.
Could you cut where the grey meets the orange, this would leave the glued part of grey fitting in place but not in the path of water, you wouldnt need to touch the concrete.
Then put that fitting inside and fit a slip socket a little higher?

Could you cut where the grey meets the orange, this would leave the glued part of grey fitting in place but not in the path of water, you wouldnt need to touch the concrete.
Then put that fitting inside and fit a slip socket a little higher?
Just had my 6 Yr old and 4yr old wake up at the same time and throwing up all over their beds. Been cleaning sick for last hour. Poor kids. All tucked back in bed and sleeping. Expecting a few more episodes thos evening.

Do you mean cut the pipe at the end of the grey socket just above the concrete in the picture?

This is my set up..

Attachments

• 20210806_211927.jpg
    20210806_211927.jpg
    465.2 KB · Views: 20
Have you looked at flexseal icon.
They are expensive but good and restrict much less than a transition type as above.

Looks good. Although if I wanted to use this I would need to change the grey tee as the leak would still be in the pipe that is glued into grey socket. I was wondering, as I can reach my hand into the fitting, could I seal it that way with gap filler as surely there is a leak in there.

Talk about looking for an easy solution a

It's really difficult to advise without seeing it. If it's getting boxed probably best bite the bullet now before tiling etc - we've all been there and it's even less fun. Hope the kids feel better soon.
Never had a solvent weld leak on soil pipe in 12yrs. In a tight place as well. There is always a 1st time.

Kids still rough, wife is sick as well and I am cramping but cannot go. The 2 Yr old who is potty training is running around like mad having free roam of the house and peeing every where. It's been an interesting day I tell you.

Thanks for asking

Nice bit of kit the icon pipe insert. Was hoping it would be long enough to go past my leak on the solvent weld but wasn't thought about cutting it down so it would but then thought I would do a proper job and chip the brown pipe out which was easy as it was missing a bit of weld on the back.

The part actually feels loose going in but it holds water.

Attachments

• 20210809_140839.jpg
    20210809_140839.jpg
    346.1 KB · Views: 13
Have you glued a short length of pipe into your grey boss pipe?
If not, I’m not surprised it felt loose- I would definitely add this short length of pipe or you’ll get a leak in the future- same as when people use a pan connector into a socket, it may hold for a while but not long term.

Have you glued a short length of pipe into your grey boss pipe?
If not, I’m not surprised it felt loose- I would definitely add this short length of pipe or you’ll get a leak in the future- same as when people use a pan connector into a socket, it may hold for a while but not long term.

I most certainly have. Was meant to type that but got a call and forgot to finish my post

Reply to Solvent weld gap filler? in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and pebbles!) We saw that the pipe that takes water down the gutter was visibly full to the top. He said he will return with a coil to push through...
Replies
Views
S
Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer are) and one of the guys there reckoned it might be "The Gap". I went to the new stockist and the guy there disagreed it was "The Gap" and that he'd...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock