Search the forum,

Discuss Soldering Question in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sailingdave

I have some pipework to redo and it really doesn't seem worth calling in a plumber.

The only blowtorch I have, however, is a cooks' blowtorch (for creme brulee and the like!). Is there any reason why this won't do the job?

depends on a lot really, temperature, solder, flux, pipe, cleanliness,.....
you say redo? why?

"doesn seem worth calling a plumber" aye..... don't know your story but because of your question im assuming your DIY enthusiast.. theres only one way to find out if it will work but if you do you are risking £1000's of potential damage that could be caused to your property and in some cases transfer to your neighbours in which case you would be in :nono:.. even if you had the correct torch it doesn't mean a successful joint, plumbers also carry insurance if such a thing were to happen to them although soldering is pretty reliable its not 100% if not done correctly and just because it doesn't leak right this second doesn't mean it wont when you go on holiday or whilst your at work or a sleep...

Last edited by a moderator:
I know the type and no not hot enough and the gas chamber isn't big enough

What I want to know is, can I use a plumbers blow lamp for making creme brûlée ? :teeth_smile:

What I want to know is, can I use a plumbers blow lamp for making creme brûlée ? :teeth_smile:

Yes, apparently professional chefs use plumbers torches! My mate is a chef and he has 2 Rothys and a Monument...

I have some pipework to redo and it really doesn't seem worth calling in a plumber.

The only blowtorch I have, however, is a cooks' blowtorch (for creme brulee and the like!). Is there any reason why this won't do the job?

No. For a whole bunch of reasons, please DON'T try this. Not enough gas in the chamber, not hot enough, already been mentioned. Plus flame shape is too broad and not focused enough. But mostly, if you've no experience of soldering, it's a big risk...

Ask your insurance company if you've covered for water damage first, if they say "Yes" then crack on. You could always us push fit...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Soldering Question in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

D
The majority of joints on my central heating system are threaded, apart from a few that are push fit. However, the drain cock is a soldered fitment, so the question is - why is this soldered (unless on some older BSP systems) when a threaded joint is suitable for everything else? Just seems...
Replies
Views
I'm currently refurbishing a room. Plumber has been in for first fix to lay new pipework for new radiators. He's laid fresh copper pipe, however around the joints they are all green which I believe is flux residue he hasn't cleaned up after soldering. Not the cleanest of jobs but I'm not too...
Replies
Views
Hi Folks, Over the weekend, my wife insisted that I cleared out a junk cupboard in our utility room, in doing so I discovered a stopcock (that we have never used) had a load of crust around it. It looks to me that at some stage it probably leaked and sealed itself. I've never used it as it's...
Replies
Views
Hi, Short version: I have about 4" of pipe sticking out of a concrete floor in a cupboard. It makes a 45-degree bend as it exists (bent, not with elbows), the last cm before the open end is pretty much straight, but as a result of the bend it is not perfectly round. I mean it is pretty much...
Replies
Views
Had the plumber replace the pipes less than 2 month from the sink that lead into a cast iron pipe. They also unblocked gunk from the start of the cast iron pipe. The gunk is in the photo I've attached. The pipe work is also attached(it's disconnected as we cleared the u bend to clear it out)...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock