Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss solar panels in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

REDSAW

just had a sales call for solar roof panels, my sister is concidering them also.

are they worth it?

i know the gov rate has dropped its price but anyone actually know if there worth there while having them installed? my house is south facing..

Whether they work financially for You and or your Sister is wholly dependant on the exact location and price of installation.

You need specific survey / financial forecast for each property done by more than 1 company. There are way too many variables.

I think there are a few radical design changes on the way which will make the harnessing of solar energy much more efficient like stacking and pancakes.
These panels will be located, not on you roof, but in your garden, and will track the sun.

Last edited:
Fresnel lenses and sterling engines. We all just need to get back to making steam.

just had a sales call for solar roof panels, my sister is concidering them also.

are they worth it?

i know the gov rate has dropped its price but anyone actually know if there worth there while having them installed? my house is south facing..

Don't listen to the salesperson telling you all the benefits.
They are sitting at a desk reading off a screen.

Solar electricity and hot water have been very dominant over here.

I am really yet to encounter anyone that is totally happy about having the solar panels installed for electricity. Most of them are getting bill as high as they were getting previous to having panel installed.
The tariffs have reduced substantially over the last few years - this is mostly the reason.

As for solar hot water - I used to install them quite regularly ( @100 or so systems )
I don't do them anymore.
I personally couldn't justify the costs of the system and the payback time - 8 or so years.
So I didn't bother putting one on my place.

Don't listen to the salesperson telling you all the benefits.
They are sitting at a desk reading off a screen.

Solar electricity and hot water have been very dominant over here.

I am really yet to encounter anyone that is totally happy about having the solar panels installed for electricity. Most of them are getting bill as high as they were getting previous to having panel installed.
The tariffs have reduced substantially over the last few years - this is mostly the reason.

As for solar hot water - I used to install them quite regularly ( @100 or so systems )
I don't do them anymore.
I personally couldn't justify the costs of the system and the payback time - 8 or so years.
So I didn't bother putting one on my place.

I have them, we are out all day so i do believe there is a benefit to the elctric bill. i am on a good tariff but the system i have is not as efficienct (IMO) as newer ones that are cheaper than i paid too.
If you intend to stay put for more than 10 years then you will gain the revenue created from the FIT as your system will be paid for. You you have family at home during the day you "may" benefit from the electricity on demand but i doubt it.
If i had the money and opportunity i would be more intrigued by gound source heat combined with good insulation or solar hot water as you will save a lot of energy keeping your hot water tank that few degrees warmer

I have them, we are out all day so i do believe there is a benefit to the elctric bill. i am on a good tariff but the system i have is not as efficienct (IMO) as newer ones that are cheaper than i paid too.
If you intend to stay put for more than 10 years then you will gain the revenue created from the FIT as your system will be paid for. You you have family at home during the day you "may" benefit from the electricity on demand but i doubt it.
If i had the money and opportunity i would be more intrigued by gound source heat combined with good insulation or solar hot water as you will save a lot of energy keeping your hot water tank that few degrees warmer

stuffed if you have a combi then.lol

I personally think solar panel installation, and dare I say H.E. gas boiler installations will all be made free to everyone in the UK regardless of circumstance.
With the energy crisis looming and all that goes with it.
I could be way of the mark though.

Last edited:
There are manifest problems with Solar PV panels on roofs

1. Do you own the roof freehold ? if not noway
2. The deal is for 25 years - so do u intend to stay that long
3. It is difficult to sell a private dwelling freehold with a leasing agreement
such as these companies make with you
4. They loose 20% of their output in 1st year
5. They are ugly and the fixing brackets on the older installs are rotting out so prepare for 'solar panel comes of in high wind'
and god forebid kills someone - it will happen

As you might guess I think they are intermediate technology - I am 56 and expecr to see them taken off well within my life time left CHking

are they worth it?

Last edited by a moderator:
There are manifest problems with Solar PV panels on roofs

1. Do you own the roof freehold ? if not noway
2. The deal is for 25 years - so do u intend to stay that long
3. It is difficult to sell a private dwelling freehold with a leasing agreement
such as these companies make with you
4. They loose 20% of their output in 1st year
5. They are ugly and the fixing brackets on the older installs are rotting out so prepare for 'solar panel comes of in high wind'
and god forebid kills someone - it will happen

As you might guess I think they are intermediate technology - I am 56 and expecr to see them taken off well within my life time left CHking

Dont believe all you hear CHK

Plenty of houses are selling with rent-a-roof systems installed

First UK grid connected PV system 95% efficient 20 years later | Solar Power Portal

The problem with all renewable energy is the scepticism that follows it. In our nature we don't like change and most are happy to believe what someone tells us without researching it ourself.

Also it is a 20 year term on the FiT now.

Also, cant understand how metal fixings can rot out?

Solar thermal and a Combi is usually pretty hard to work with due to the legionella pasteurisation aspect of partially warmed water in the winter months, followed by a limited heat up time as it passes through the boiler.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to solar panels in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock