Search the forum,

Discuss soild floor pipe leaks. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

traineedrip

I have been asked to look at a property where the pipes have apparently been set in raw concrete , 1970s build. Surveyor has said theres lots of damp in the floor and blames corroded pipe work.

If thats the case and the pipes need replacing can anyone recommend the easiest way forward. Can i cut a channel or hammer drill and chisel bit? I tend to work alone and wondering how long it will take?

if the majority of pipework is in concrete then tracing the effected area would be a major job which could damage the pipework further, never mind trying to cut out the effected pipework and replacing it. i would suggest leaving the current installtion in the floor and surface re-run the pipework

I replaced a length of underfloor pipework in a previous home. I decided that as the screed around the pipework that needed replacing was likely to have suffered damage then that was the place to start. As that area of floor screed had been damaged it came up in most parts without too much damage to adjacent sound screed. I used a hammer and bolster chisel but an sds drill would have been quicker.

To locate the pipes I used a couple of pieces of welding rod bent into L shapes to divine for the pipes. From trials with work colleagues I have found that about 80% of people are able to locate and trace underground services using the same method.

I thought that normally the pipes are laid on the concrete and then covered with the floor screed.

Last edited by a moderator:
are these pipes protected in the concrete?? if not will you be able to stand over the job?? i would consider repiping the job surface mounted.

You could end up opening a can of worms

According to the surveyor, damp readings are high in every downstairs room and its apparently common on this build.
So more a case of renewing as opposed to leak repair.
I was intending to work from each rad, following the pipe work. Im going to suggest surface mounted , but if she wants it out, then i will use the existing channels to relay the fresh pipe in sand with a screed top.

House will be empty, so no concerns with noise/mess. Its been empty for 3 years.

Easyt , i was thinking the screed may well be damaged and will come up easierly, i guess it depends on the original install and how deep it goes. Love the divining idea!

As a job i think the can of worms has already happened, I just see it as labour intensive and time consuming?

Can/were gas pipes ever set in concrete? Or should it just be the water pipes i`ll find? :eek: bang :eek:

snip:

Easyt , i was thinking the screed may well be damaged and will come up easierly, i guess it depends on the original install and how deep it goes. Love the divining idea!

snip:

Can/were gas pipes ever set in concrete? Or should it just be the water pipes i`ll find? :eek: bang :eek:

If you have to go down the road of digging up then use a cat and signal generator to trace and mark the pipes. If you temporarily remove the earth bond to the gas pipe and turn off leccy to avoid false signals you should be able to trace water pipes but may still include gas pipe. Should be able to follow that one easily though from the meter if you can't separate the signal. .

been here before spent ages looking for leaks never again hire a 9 inch diamond blade grinder cut some new channels do a full repipe wrap all copper in denzo tape will be a quicker job than cutting an ripping out to relay it

Thanks for the replies. Getting customer onto surface mounted but nice to have some ideas if digging has to happen.
I guess it comes down to how easy they come up, or not ...

You can check where the leak is by mopping the floor with the heating on full pelt. where the pipes are in good nick you will get dry lines. if there is a leak you will get a splodge. Try it it works really well on underfloor heating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to soild floor pipe leaks. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock