Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Soil Pipe do you get what you pay for ? in the Plumbing Forum area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. Stants

Stants Member

Hi Currently undergoing a loft conversion, looking at the soil pipe details
    I have found a vast difference in Prices in this case do you get more "bang for your buck" Ie Osma = Rolls Royce or will a lesser alternative still have the Longevity ? any recommendations gratefully received
    Cheers

2. gingalig

gingalig GSR

Personally, Osma / Mc Alpine, better quality fit when it comes to ancillary parts. Less prone to seal failure due to fitting issues / general quality. There's some really cheap Chinese stuff out there but it's rubbish and really hard to work with.

• Like Like x 1
  3. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Osma

Polypipe are the main ones

• Like Like x 1
  4. Stants

Stants Member

Thankyou … other than a local plumbers merchants or travis perkins, Wolvesly Etc do you know of any online suppliers can only find places like Screwfix ( which do cheap ones )

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  5. Stants

Stants Member

Thankyou … other than a local plumbers merchants or travis perkins, Wolvesly Etc do you know of any online suppliers can only find places like Screwfix ( which do cheap ones )

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  6. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Plumbnation should do the decent stuff (as there fulfilled by travis)

• Like Like x 1
  7. Stants

Stants Member

Hi just had a look a Plumbnation could only see Floplast …..are they any good seem really cheap

8. townfanjon

townfanjon Trusted Plumber GSR

It is cheap , I occasionally use their waste pipes I have never had any problems , soil pipe though, I would use polypipe .

• Like Like x 1
  9. Stants

Stants Member

Thanks.. just looking round now an example A single Branch in Wolseley Marley = £ 76.83.. Centre = £ 18.92 ( Guess there own brand )…. Screwfix Floplast = £ 13.69 there doesn't seem to be a middle product ?

10. townfanjon

townfanjon Trusted Plumber GSR

The center brand gear is theirs and its good gear to be honest , sod the Marley price .

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Ric2013

Ric2013 Plumber

I also suspect that Wolseley price is a web price for the general public and you'd get a better price in branch. Quite why the merchants think it's helpful to give false online prices is beyond me. After all, I tend to do quotes in the evening when merchants are closed and their websites are then beyond useless if they show the wrong price, even though I have trade accounts.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Stants

Stants Member

thought they seemed a bit Pricey in comparison …..some places would only give you a price if you opened an account and gave credit details I suppose I,ll have to pop in there ……..do you think the Centre brand is ok ?

13. Ric2013

Ric2013 Plumber

Used Center (sic.) brand waste fittings, but not soil. It is on a par with Polypipe. I think Osma has the edge, but Center is fine IMO.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Stants

Stants Member

I may go with Osma then as I intend to run the Soil Internally ( I,m allowing a thicker wall to the front of the dormer to accommodate it ) using solvent fittings ….. I don't want any leaks

15. Stants

Stants Member

Took at bit of looking but ive found plumbase,s website more realistic The Polypipe solvent branch there is £ 27.54 incl think ive found the middle ground ...Cheers

• Like Like x 1