Search the forum,

Discuss Softened Water thru Loop ? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

verdigrey

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Hi Guys , I have noticed that Worcester Bosch recomend that you dont fill a Sealed system from a softened water supply . I didnt know this and have just piped up an extension and to a new Oil system boiler . The cold mains to Boiler location is going to be softened water , from a proper Softener that uses Salt to regenerate .
I wonder if WB think that there could be a Trace of sodium in the water that could some how damage the Boiler . I think it is very unlikely there would be enough salt to do any harm , but I dont know what to do now .
Gratefull for your thoughts .

needs to be un-softened water as there could be a reaction with the aluminum heat cell

The warranty wont be valid if you have used softened water, the ally heat exchangers don't like it and apparently leak within about a year with softened water.

I think Worcester recommend hard water anyway, it's an old recommendation or something?

yes the only boilers i know of have stainless steel heat exchangers

"It is possible to have an ion exchange water softener fitted to the cold water system of the property. However, the boiler requires an untreated cold water connection taken from the mains supply, before the water softener, to the primary water filling point of the heating system.
Alternatively there are water softening/treatment devices that do not adjust or alter the pH levels of the water. With these devices it may not be necessary to provide an untreated water by-pass to the primary water filling point of the heat system."

Okay thanks for your help guys , I quess I had better run a new pipe thru to the Boiler location with Raw water , just to be on the safe side .

Okay thanks for your help guys , I quess I had better run a new pipe thru to the Boiler location with Raw water , just to be on the safe side .

That is what I have always done for a Worcester where there is a water softener in place.

Turn the softener on bypass and draw raw water through. Then fiĺl the heating. The only problems being that the pipework layout may not allow all the soft water to be cleared.

Turn the softener on bypass and draw raw water through. Then fiĺl the heating. The only problems being that the pipework layout may not allow all the soft water to be cleared.

But then the home owner can still fill the system with someone softened water if he forgets

But then the home owner can still fill the system with someone softened water if he forgets

I don't think a small top up would hurt, the initial fill maybe!

I put a label on the boilers fascia to operate the bypass & run hot rap etc prior to topping up, plus one on the Worcester charge key, or header tank etc! Pretty hard to forget then!

Yes that can be a problem, just disconnect the filling loop, customers shouldn't play with things they know nothing about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Softened Water thru Loop ? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up to 1.3. I've had an engineer look inside the boiler and he can't see anything wrong. I've checked the pipes all over the house and cannot see any...
Replies
Views
P
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock