Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Sink Gurgling Due To New Washer/Dryer in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

bainsteven

Hiya Guys,

New here - just needing a bit of advice, please!

We've just replaced our old washing machine with a washer/dryer (LG F14A8YD6). Now every time the drum stops rotating we're getting a gurgling sound coming from the sink.

The only differenced in the plumbing (as far as I can tell) is that the new washer/dryer doesn't have a hot-water connection (whereas the old washer had both a hot and cold pipe). Could this be causing an issue?

I was also wondering if the waste pipe hasn't been installed correctly? - although, again, I can't see any difference from how the old one was installed... it comes over the back-board under the sink and then down into the sink's waste pipe. Is there supposed to be a U-bend/upside-down U-bend above/below the the height of the washer outlet/sink waste pipe?

Any advice as to why our sink has now started gurgling would be very much appreciated! I've Googled the issue and everyone seems to be suggesting installing a vent(?) - however our old washer was set-up (almost) the same, so I can't see this being the issue?

Cheers,

Steve.

Last edited by a moderator:
Was the last machine also a condensing dryer?
It's probably the drain pump starting / stopping at the end of each rotation in drying cycle.

Hiya Snowhead- thanks for your reply!

No, the old one was just a washing machine... I'm not sure now if the gurgling only started happening during drying... if so, what can be done about it?

Cheers,

Steve.

Is the new hose longer? Just a guess but if it is laying on the floor could there be an air syphon effect on the waste trap hence the gurgling?

Hiya rpm,

Not sure - I'll check with my Father-in-Law who connected it to see if he remembers (before I pull it all out and have a look!). It's not touching the floor under the sink - but I guess there's a possibility of it being on the floor behind the machine (although my Wife doesn't think it was THAT long).

Snowhead: The gurgling also happens during a 30min normal wash cycle (just trying it now and it's still happening) - so isn't solely due to the dryer pump.

Steve.

Snowhead: The gurgling also happens during a 30min normal wash cycle (just trying it now and it's still happening) - so isn't solely due to the dryer pump.

Steve.[/QUOTE]

Can you put the plug in the sink, see if that makes a difference, gurgling is water displacing air in pipe or a syphon effect normally. Does the sink drain well on it`s own?

Steve.

There will only be one drain pump, used for both the dryer and washer cycles.

If the washer / drier drain is connected directly to the sink waste, you'll need to change to having a normal waste riser with it's own trap connected below the sink trap.

Snowhead: While I was washing-up I put plugs in both sinks (we have a middle small sink too) - this stopped the gurgling, and by removing the middle sink's plug the gurgling happened again... so what does this mean? After washing-up the full main sink seemed to drain well as normal.

If the washer / drier drain is connected directly to the sink waste, you'll need to change to having a normal waste riser with it's own trap connected below the sink trap.

What does this mean exactly?... I know nothing about plumbing! Lol.

Hammers4Spanner: What's a "hepvo"?

SteveThePlumber/rpm: I believe this is how it currently is: The waste pipe comes over the back-board under the sink and then down into the sink's waste pipe. Is there supposed to be a U-bend/upside-down U-bend above/below the the height of the washer outlet/sink waste pipe?

Thanks for all your replies guys - sounds like we're getting somewhere!

Cheers,

Steve.

Post a photo of under the sink and the connections, seen pipes running uphill before now Steve, and without wishing to offend the word believe doesn`t help us to help you, facts do mate.

I'm in with Hammers, hepVo's work wonders for this. That's unless the waste drains straight into a spigot on the trap. A photo would help no end.

Hiya Guys,

Thanks for your input - apologies for the delay in replying, I've been away.

Here's a photo of under the sink... hope this helps!

20150514_094755.jpg

Steve.

that looks ok it may just be the way the machine cycles the pump cutting into remove water during the drying cycle
youll learn to hate that bottle trap after the 5th time youve cleaned it out and the seal leaks every time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Sink Gurgling Due To New Washer/Dryer in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P
Our kitchen mixer tap has started dripping. Like so much of the plumbing in our almost new build bungalow, it is lacking! The plumber didn't...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock