Search the forum,

Discuss Single or Double check NRV in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

I understand the physical difference between the two, but wanted to know in the context of plumbing and heating, when is one used vs the other?

Also, in terms of pressure differential, would either stop a buildup of pressure on one side resulting in an increase in pressure the other side?

I get that. But I want to understand how it works in relation to an unvented setup. The NRV is after the balanced cold to prevent hot water expansion to the cold outlets. I wanted to understand if this is how an NRV works - does it stop not just backflow but pressure build up also?

Doesn't stop pressure build up its just a one way valve

Thank you for that.

The reason I am asking this is in my unvented setup I have:

Cold Water Main -> Pressure Reducing Valve (3 bar) -> NRV -> Pressure Relief Valve (8 bar) -> Megaflo inlet.

I'm finding every 3-6 months I need to recharge my Megaflo air bubble. Whether this is right or not is a different question - I'm waiting for funds to allow to get a plumber in to fit an external expansion vessel, as others have recommended.

But what I do see is my Pressure Reducing Valve showing a build up of pressure when the air bubble needs recharging. I'd always wondered why this was as I thought the NRV was supposed to stop this. Looks like that is not the case. Whilst it is a good indicator to tell me when the air bubble is depleted, it worries me that 6/7 bar means potentially my showers could have premature failure because the MIs state they should not exceed 3-4 bar.

Sounds like you need to get it checked over and sorted by a G3 engineer or contact megaflow direct as the cylinder has a warranty

Cold Water Main -> Pressure Reducing Valve (3 bar) -> NRV -> Pressure Relief Valve (8 bar) -> Megaflo inlet.
Some types of Pressure Reducing Valve only work when there is a flow through the valve. If there is no flow the downstream pressure gradually rises to same as upstream. Other types maintain the set downstream pressure at zero flow. I believe (but worth checking) that the latter type needs a bleed-off pipe.

But what I do see is my Pressure Reducing Valve showing a build up of pressure when the air bubble needs recharging.

When the bubble has gone, or the precharge in a vessel has gone there's no room for expansion when the water heats up.
The pressure within the system will rise, as seen on your gauge, until a tap is opened to reduce the pressure.

But then you've let cold water in (by drawing off hot) so the cylinder will reheat and the pressure rise again.

Some types of Pressure Reducing Valve only work when there is a flow through the valve. If there is no flow the downstream pressure gradually rises to same as upstream. Other types maintain the set downstream pressure at zero flow. I believe (but worth checking) that the latter type needs a bleed-off pipe.

Yes, the Pressure Reducing Valve is "drop tight" - certainly, the incoming pressure never exceeds 3 bar on the gauge, even though my mains pressure fluctuates between 5 to 7 bar.

It sounds like, though, from what Shaun said above, that the NRV does not stop the pressure increase on the megaflo side (when the expansion bubble has been depleted) from crossing it to the cold water side.

that the NRV does not stop the pressure increase on the megaflo side (when the expansion bubble has been depleted) from crossing it to the cold water side.
That's not correct, he is saying that the pressure on the downstream side of the prv will increase because the pressure reduction is impossible if it happens downstream due to expansion
If a nrv or dcv is passing backwards then it needs replacing. Dcv should be more reliable, but neither are 100%, you'd need a break tank for that with an air gap.

Reply to Single or Double check NRV in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hi all Noticed bad smell in my drain out side put my hand down and it unclogged it for now however I checked my sewer drain and after flushing my toilet a good few times nothing is going to the sewer so don't know is there a blockage or what way it works many thanks and advice would be grateful
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock