Search the forum,

Discuss Silicone tools? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

macka09

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Hi all.
Just wondered if any of you use any tools to help with the silicone finishes? I'm awful at it so need all the help I can get at the mo.

I use the fugi kits, one called fugen boy that I got of a plumbing and bathroom supplies website, and one set from lidl by elk. They are both good but I still find it tricky to get the level of finish I want. Also I find I have excessive wastage when using the fugen kits as they seem to work best when moving a good dollop of sealant ahead of the angled profile which then inevitably is cleaned off and wasted. I have always wanted to try the corner tape system but could never bring myself to spend the money on it.

Last edited:
got the fugi kit but this is the muts nuts, bath tub in less than 2 mins...

th

That is why when I had a building firm I paid a mastic and silicone guy to do our work he made it look so easy but he was so fussy about which products he would use it was untrue !

I have the Fugenboy kit and find it works very well except the wastage. I have used the corner tape and found it harder to use and messy. I have all three of my fugenboy tools and only one of the cornertape.

I saw a fugi in action a couple of months ago and went to get one myself the same day as I was very impressed with it. They were out of stock and I still haven't got round to getting one, but I will definitely be getting one next time I'm in TS.
I've always been decent at it with my thumb/finger etc. but it's surprising how a little overpriced piece of plastic/rubber whatever it is can make it so quick and easy.

I bought a tiny 10 inch tool box ( wee dinky thing ) and I filled it with tools just for siliconing and cleaning silicone. The fungi kits are great. I usually use them if it's against wetwall as get a cracking equal seal. Can't do it without the squeeze spray bottle

I don't like using silicon at all (fat finger syndrome). I do pay a expert ÂŁ40 for the entire bathroom and he supplies the silicon. But.....................when I do have to use it I spend as long as it takes with a roll of best quality masking tape (not ÂŁ shop rubbish), tape off both surfaces leaving a small even gap and then run a bead of silicon and run the back of my thumb nail along to remove the excess. Looks 90% good but not as good as the expert. Hope it helps.

Great posts friends. Been cutting out a lot of mouldy silicone of late. I use the wet finger method. Hit & miss so found this thread very interesting.

I'll look for the tools mentioned.

Thanks.

Fugi Kit really is worth the ÂŁ11, saves so much time and gets an excellent seal and finish. Just scrape off the excess, then smooth over the seal with some spit on the end of your middle finger lightly touching the silicone afterwards and it looks bang on. Make sure you keep them clean though or it knackers the finish.
Whoever invents a way to get the excess silicone back in the tube will be a millionaire.

Ordered mine as I'm hit and miss with silicone. I either do a great job or its a train wreck and have to start over.

Have tried the Fugi kits but was not a success for me and like everything else that goes into the van they vanished after a few weeks. Wet finger or for a real pro finish a damp lolly stick most times. BTW if anyone uses a spray for wetting what do you put in it apart from water? Cheers

Have tried the Fugi kits but was not a success for me and like everything else that goes into the van they vanished after a few weeks. Wet finger or for a real pro finish a damp lolly stick most times. BTW if anyone uses a spray for wetting what do you put in it apart from water? Cheers
A little bit of fairy liquid, not too much.

don't use spit to finish off after using your fugi kit, it will make the silicone go black with bacteria.

Water and fairy liquid in a spray bottle, fire it all over the silicones area and any excess will come off as easy as any tool you'll ever buy. I credibly cheap and not seen a better finish.

Its all in the application from the gun finger finish every time no excess and compliments all the time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Silicone tools? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Morning to any Australians lurking around! Register its free, then message me, I'll sort your account out for you. We will need a moderator from each main country too. I'll post this in the Australian forum now.
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer are) and one of the guys there reckoned it might be "The Gap". I went to the new stockist and the guy there disagreed it was "The Gap" and that he'd...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock