Discuss Silicone and solvent weld brands in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stanios

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Hi guys,

The two products I use alot of everyday are glue and silicone. The problem I get with both is they ideally require 24 hour drying period. Obviously after I finish my pipe run or basin waste I want to test it before shooting off. The dilema is do you test and risk creating the leak yourself or let it dry and potentially still end up with a leak?

Or are there alternative brands of silicone/ glue that dry instantly? I know fernox lsx is good as gold but its as dear as gold.. is there anything just as good but cheap enough for everyday use?

We just use cheap solvent weld, I've always tested straight away and never had a problem,
Silicon is obv a diff case just use a decent quality one always seems easier to apply

I use dow corning at the mo Im just worried when using it to seal joints because it doesnt dry quickly at all. LSX is more of a luxury mostly use it on all bath, basin and sink basket wastes around all washers, top and bottom, basically everywhere lol just wouldnt trust washers on their own..

Il give that black swan a try using floplast atm it turns jelly after a few days and nightmare to use on 4"

Think you are worrying to much,use good products and then maybe have a deep sniff of the solvent cement and chill,,,,,,,

a-Astronaut-Chilling-On-The-Moon-With-Beer-Wallpaper-1920x1200_zpsnjjjzr9p.jpg

785 for sealing plug holes and solvent weld gets tested straight away, never leaks

Solvent weld is normally ok after 5 to 10 mins. Silicone needs an hour, make your wastes in as a first job so when you test it's had some time to go off. Only waste I'd use it on would be a basin, bath and sink wastes don't need silicone, if they do you need to buy better quality wastes.

Don't use silicone on basin wastes, use a basin mate. less messy and seals every time.

Another vote for test immediately.

Have you tried splitting it or even moving the joint even after a few seconds, they don't go anywhere.

I do commercial only and use a lot of 50mm solvent waste.
A catering sink half full of water never causes a leak.

Use solvent weld on 25psi systems and test after 3 or 4 minutes no problem.

Had to look up basin mate, video on youtube of a guy using it with silicone :disappointed:

I always silicone the basin waste, silicone the top, silicone the bottom rubber washer then nut, never had a problem, and always neat just don't apply too much silicon,
But each to there own really

Weld on wet r dry if you really need to pressure test but in normal circumstances your test is a turn the tap on so any solvent weld glue will be fine for that afteer 5 minutes.
Moved away from silicons and now using ct1 and the like adhesive sealants.

only down side to the hybrid polymers are they dont stay bright white when they dry.

plumbers mate for wastes and flush cones nice suasage wrapped a round ,never leaks and removable
i find when you put silicon on washers that they turn out if you try and tighten them same with the flush cones silicon allows them to pop back outif your going to use silicon on flush cones you need to silicon it into the pan and leave to set before you put the flush pipe in but ive seldom got that time

I use a smear on the olive of all compression joints. I also smear any fibre washers with it.

Best stuff ever.
Boss white i use on compression, everyone i work with puts it on a differently lol

Weld on wet r dry if you really need to pressure test but in normal circumstances your test is a turn the tap on so any solvent weld glue will be fine for that afteer 5 minutes.
Moved away from silicons and now using ct1 and the like adhesive sealants.

+1 for CT1 although I only use it where needed its expensive stuff

Cheapest silicone I can find! Normally Screwfix.

Why do people like Dow cornering so much, whats good about it?
I bought a tube a year or so ago and couldnt tell the difference. Unless its just for its anti mould properties

I test immediately with either tbh. Even a siliconed basin waste. never had an issue.

Im pretty sure solvent weld is set in seconds??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Silicone and solvent weld brands in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock