Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Shutting off hot and cold water. in the Plumbing Forum area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. Gary jackson

Gary jackson New Member

Hey guys....changing shower in the basement of a 4 story house...i think hot water is off a gravity fed hot water cylinder and the heating is off a boiler... to shut off the water supply I switched off the mains coming into the house, turned off the boiler(just switch at front no valves), 2 red valves next to cylinder. It took ages for the water to stop and had to drain the whole system before the taps stopped running...anything i can shut off to stop water flow straight away or are the valves probably faulty next to the cylinder?( 1 valve said cold feed and the other was unmarked, there was also a valve next to the HWC that had no knob(...Tks...

2. king of pipes

king of pipes Trusted Plumber GSR

Post a picture please. Cheers kop

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. jtsplumbing

jtsplumbing Plumber GSR

If pipes to shower are exposed ! freeze pipes cut in full bore service valve, save all the hassle of draining system and possibility of air locks when refilling + the amount of time it saves, remember both H & C need to be fed from roof tanks.

4. Chalked

Chalked Plumber GSR

You will need to empty the header tank in the loft anyway, to fit a cold water supply for the shower pump. So just turn off the incoming water main and run off all water.

5. jtsplumbing

jtsplumbing Plumber GSR

Think he is just replacing a old unit could be some service valves somewhere.

6. Darren Jackson

Darren Jackson Plumber GSR

Put a bung in all the cold feed outlets of the header and a bung in the expansion pipe. This creates a vacume and The water will stop in a minute or two. Saves drain down and wasting water.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Best

Best Trusted Plumber

Just be careful creating a vacuum on your hot water as this could collapse the hot cylinder.

8. Darren Jackson

Good point Best, should have mentioned to only bung on a cold system with all heating off. I sometimes forget that we do it routinely and assume that a regular person would know this. My bad...

• Like Like x 1
  9. Best

Best Trusted Plumber

No worries Darren. I routinely bung heating systems, but have become a bit paranoid about any vented copper cylinders or unvented units being under suction. I nearly did a lot of damage to a copper cylinder once when bunging the vent.
    Also witnessed a new copper cylinder gradually crushing in when pipes in attic were frozen and hot tap on floor below was opened.

10. Darren Jackson

Yeah, I've seen one implode not a pretty sight! Not by me I might add lol. I went to replace it.

• Like Like x 1