Search the forum,

Discuss Shower pump help pls in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mattq

I rent the property where shower uses pump (located under bath) due yo low pressure i guess. Its an old tank-system there, boiler Potterton Suprima 60L.

This pump is very noisy, what to do to make the shower working without the pump, what work needs to be done, and whats the average costs of it, as this pump drives me mad. What other options are possible? Landlady is a very difficult when must spend any money...

Thanks

Ask your landlady to get a plumber in for a quote. Her problem, but more importantly from a legal standoint her responsibility and her property.

1. I dont think so she will be interested in quoting this job as this is not necessary to rent the property.

2. You gave me simple obvious answer, which is not what i wanted

Afraid it's the only answer at the moment matt. Annoying though the pump may be, if you go making alterations to her property without her consent, you could wind up in the mire.

Would she accept you paying for the work for a reduction in the rent as a compromise?

I didnt say i want to do that. I want to bring up the idea, but i need at least an average description what work needs to be taken, and very average costs of it to decide whether theres possiblity of succes in this advantage.

If u told me eg.

1: that must involve a boiler change and extra machine for ÂŁxxxxxx,

or

2: its impossible to get rid of the pump as they are still beign used in this kind of 'low water pressure premisses' the only alternative u may get is a bit more expensive quiet pump

Thats the examples of answers i was expecting guys, i dont need advices how to deal or speak to heR

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, with that attitude, that's probably about the only advice you're liable to get!

You could ask a plumber to give an estimate but any plumber worth his salt would not even be interested in visiting for quotation without owner approval.

just get new twin impeller pump fitted ...make sure is a good brand ! then when you move out just take it with you !

Google

thereisawizza: yeah, right, blame me for my attitude. If u had at least little knowledge you would explain me that straigh away

SafeGasInstall: thanks

I rang some plum company, they imformed me (without coming in and without owners approval) about two options i have:

1. Better Quiet pump
2. Changing whole system and getting rid of tank, that would create something he called 'mega flow', and regulate the water pressure to the right standarts

just get new pump and get plumber to fit it !

changing system and megaflow -breach of your contract ! landlord will not pay as to expansive option !

keep it simple new pump plumber fit's it no big deal ,you decide to move out plumber put the old one back in place happy days :)

Ok, i will look for better quiet pump. Thanks for your help guys.

Regards,

M

Hi you can lift the tank in the loft I would charge between 80 to 120 to do this job and doing this will be far cheaper than a new pump and will give you good presure in the house

If you live in or near London let me know I will be happy to look at the job free and if you like I can do the work it is not a big job

Hi you can lift the tank in the loft I would charge between 80 to 120 to do this job and doing this will be far cheaper than a new pump and will give you good presure in the house

Your cheap
And unless you can move it a great deal won't make much difference

As croppie already said salamander are not to bad a pump but personally I go for Stuart turner monsoon pumps but the pipework has to be plumbed correct to the pump MIs
I can't see your landlady wanting to do this as the only proplem you seem to have is the pump that's in is too noisy.

There is another option get a shower radio and turn it up loud when your in shower problem solved lol

Stephen: Im not an expert but i dont think that will give good enough pressure..

I think new pump is an option, this eve i will check what pump i got (make and model) and post it here, will be lookin forward for opinions and suggestions.

Gray0689: noise disturbs when people using shower while others are sleeping

as you say you will get 0.1 barper meter but most houses will have .2 to.3 head already so if you lift it up 1 or 2 meters you will have half a bar which will be more than enough and i may be cheap but i work by priceing by the dayand 120 a dayis a fairprice. the other option that no one has said is you could fir a elc shower this will cost a bit more but you will have no noise. no matter wot pump you use you wil get nois and pumps all have a shelf life were as if you lift the tank this will last for ever.

New pump might only be a temp resolution as crap pipework might be the reason for the existing pump being noisy. As said above check the pump you get will be ok for your pipework set up or your brand new pump could end up being just as noisy!

just checked the pump, its actually Salamander pump;/

[DLMURL]http://img847.imageshack.us/img847/1613/sdc10463t.jpg[/DLMURL]

[DLMURL]http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/391/sdc10460gj.jpg[/DLMURL]

ps: stephen: you lift the tank, what about the hot water which is not heated/stored on the loft level...?

i can see why it could be noisy. two of the flexi pipes are kinked restricting the flow. as for lifting the tank in respect of the hot water cylinder, the head of water is from the cold water cistern in the loft. the higher the cws the higher the bar pressure no need to raise the hot cylinder.

Aye not great.

Have you checked the filter washers on the connections to the pump?

Where the flexi connectors connect onto the pump there is a meshed washer for the inlets to keep any crap out of the pump, over time they have a habit of collecting anything and everything. Don't forget to turn the water off first though. Might be perfectly clear, but for the sake of 10 mins can't hurt.

ok, ill check that washers tmrw.

Steveb: i tried to move the flexi pipes but the noise did not change even for a sec.

Thanks

You could try putting something under the pump to act as an anti vibration mat something a bit better than a towel anyway

Gray0689: Wont help, still noisy even when lifted and holded it hands

All pumps have a bit of noise and vibration Salander are not really the noisiest if yours is that bad there must be a problem somewhere

pumps have a shelf life and when the go wrong it is better to replace it is your pump on any thing some people put there pumps on rubber to trake the vibration out and some of the noise a paving slad with foam will work to. you can get a shower mate pump from stuare turner but they cost up wards of 200. i think the best thing is to get a plumber to come look at it if they are a good plumber they will not charge you to give you a quote.

you re do the pipe work and make it longer you do not need to move the hot tank its fine and as i say this is the only real option toi give you no noise and i know it sounds like you dont get that much pressuer but this dose work i have done it before. i would not offer to do it if it would not work or i would not get paid and i dont like to work for free lol hope this helps mate

it will not make DIFFERENCE IF TANK GOES UP ...........AS YOU WILL STILL USE YOUR PUMP TO BOOST IT AND PUMP SPEED WILL NOT CHANGE AT ALL ........ SO COME ON STEPHEN this every one can work it out u dont have to be a plumber

it will not make DIFFERENCE IF TANK GOES UP ...........AS YOU WILL STILL USE YOUR PUMP TO BOOST IT AND PUMP SPEED WILL NOT CHANGE AT ALL ........ SO COME ON STEPHEN this every one can work it out u dont have to be a plumber

Lol the expense of making a bigger tank stand extending all the pipework fittings copper lagging for what if you can move it up 1m which I would not think you could for 0.1 of a bar lol think about it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Shower pump help pls in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer are) and one of the guys there reckoned it might be "The Gap". I went to the new stockist and the guy there disagreed it was "The Gap" and that he'd...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock