Search the forum,

Discuss Shower Help in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

EPH

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
This job is melting my head, anybody know how this works? It was installed by another engineer who also replaced the cartridge after 6 years as the shower just runs hot but the same fault exists.

Ive checked filters, pressure, flow rate and pipe orientation but it's unfamiliar territory for me.

The black part goes in the knob and runs up and down the brass thread but is fixed so what adjusts the temperature?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 44
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 39
Strange, this cart is quite simple so don't see why you should be having a problem.
Give the following a try, ignore the grey shroud for now, that just sets up the temperature limit stop position.
Inside the black cap should be a brass screw, when you screw the cap on the screw pushes against the plunger A and opens up a gap at B.

Cart B.jpg

20160324_1947112.jpg

Screw the cap on until just a small gap opens. Then run the wax capsule (part C) under hot water and then cold water the gap should increase and decrease. This will prove if the cart is working correctly.
It is unusual for this cart to provide water that is too hot, it is usually the other way around. I would say it was reversed H&C supplies but sounds like you have checked that already.
My best guess would be a faulty cart, part No 47 450 but it would be unusual.
I have several of these carts in stock so if you want me to send one to you so you can test against the one you have then drop me a PM with your details and I can pop one in the post.
If when you have got it working you have difficulty setting up the temperature limit stop correctly then let me know as it is a right pain to get it right.
Hope that helps,
Dave

Thanks for your help Dave, its a holiday let and I've only just regained access, I'm going there today ill let you know how i get on.

Hi Dave it seems the screw that pushes it up and down in order to make the adjustment is missing, as is the screw that holds the handle on and the surround is also damaged. Are these spares you keep or are available do you know?

The parts will be available but you do need to know the exact code for the mixer if you are ordering a new handle. Showerdoc should be able to get them for you, they have parts lists such as these https://www.showerdoc.com/grohe-grohmaster-34154-grohtherm-1000-shower-spares
I have the thermostat in stock but not the parts for the handle assy.
Safest way to make sure you get the right parts would be to email a photo to [email protected] but they are usually slow to respond.
If it was me and access to the property was difficult I would just do this grohe 1000 bar | eBay
Sorry can't be more help,
Dave

Thanks for all your help Dave, think as expected the thermostat is fine and I'll email showerdoc later.

Have a good day, Rich.

Hi EHP you could try turning the water temperature down at the boiler and see if the shower valve can mix the water sometimes it helps when the water is too hot then the shower has the trouble to keep the temperature steady as it tries to shut the hot water down too much and it turns the boiler off. If thats not the case you may have a boiler issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Shower Help in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock