Search the forum,

Discuss Shower Flow reduces every 3-4 weeks? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,
I've got an installation in my house that is giving me (via my wife) some grief and I hope someone may have some pointers for me.
The set-up is a standard boiler (oil) feeding the normal copper cylinder in the airing cupboard plus the cold water tank in the loft. I have an en-suite with a thermostatic low pressure shower valve and a bathroom with a shower cubicle with another thermostatic shower valve there. The en suite is fed via standard low pressure and the other is fed by a Salamander pump. There are two 'issues' which I think are linked to a lack of hot supply but I would appreciate any advice...
We use the en suite very day and it's not brilliant flow but OK, however every few weeks the flow drops to just a dribble. I thinks it's a restriction of hot flow because on full cold the flow is great but on mixed 38C the hot is restricted somehow and because of the the thermostatic shower drops the flow down to only what it can delivery at 38C? I can't link any event to when it happens although I check the system pressure at the boiler (1Bar or just over for static pressure) and also I undo an air bleed in the loft but neither instantly seem to resolve the situation. After 2-3 days of using the bathroom shower the en suite will start to flow again OK.
The issue with the shower in the bathroom is that on start up it flows fine (on the Eco stop) but sometimes after a couple of minutes the flow stops and to kick start it again you can either go to 'full flow' on the handle, turn off and on again or strangely if you run the hot tap in the bathroom if seems to kick the pump into action. I want to correlate this also as a restriction of hot flow but is this correct? Does a pump need a certain flow to be able to pump the water faster. In the same bathroom we never seem to have any issue with the thermostatic bath filler (higher flow?)
So, with one fed via gravity and one via a pump they both demonstrate a 'temporary' lack of mixed flow and I can't find exactly what is causing the issue.
As I understand it the pressure of the elevated cold water feeding the bottom of the tank pushes the hot out of the top (22mm out of the top with a 15mm branch to the shower) but there doesn't seem to be any restriction in cold supply. Also the system is not a new installation and has been in place 2-3 years
So, as a non-plumber (but did work for Vernet thermostatics for a few years) I'm looking for some advice before I proceed to find a plumber!
Many thanks,
Carl

Pics required. Sounds like a piping issue

Pics required. Sounds like a piping issue

Shot of cylinder attaching to pump was a flange used to connect to pump? Might not be installed to manufacturers instructions and drawing in air causing airlocks

Hi, here's the installation.....

First shot shows the feed coming from mid-way of the cylinder out, down and then up to the pumpwhich feeds the shower in the bathroom
Second is the 22mm feed from the top of the cylinder which feeds the gravity-fed en suite and the hot tap in the en suite. Somewhere the 22mm drops to 15mm I assume
The last shot is just the pump

Hope this helps?

Many thanks

Attachments

• DSC00248.jpg
    DSC00248.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 17
  • DSC00242.jpg
    DSC00242.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 13
  • DSC00243.jpg
    DSC00243.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 13
I am not a plumber but I did rent a bungalow years ago that was a 'traditional' vented hot water tank heated via gas boiler and the coil in the hot water tank. Anyway if I was the second to shower in the morning the flow would reduce down to a drop! Plumber was called in and it was an air lock. He used a wet vac in the hot water cylinder cupboard but I wasn't there to see. This happened on a number of occasions and the last plumber to attend said it was a 'bad' installation but he never elaborated! This did not have a pump in the system.
So my guess is an air lock that might need some alterations to the system to overcome. Might be worth posting asking for a plumber in your area with details of the problem. I suspect you will need a good plumber with years of experience to sort it out.
Good Luck and let us know how you get on. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Shower Flow reduces every 3-4 weeks? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Morning to any Australians lurking around! Register its free, then message me, I'll sort your account out for you. We will need a moderator from each main country too. I'll post this in the Australian forum now.
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock