Discuss Shower control in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

ma701ss

Hi, this photo shows a close-up of the top of a shower control handle/lever, which rotates to turn on the water, and the back plate fixed to the tiled wall. There is a gap between them and if you look closely can just see the brass valve to which the lever is fitted. Water is getting in here, as the hole in the tiles and backer board around the brass valve where it pokes through is not sealed. I suggested filling around the hole with sealant to close it up, someone else has said a chrome ring plate is missing from around the lever, which fixes to the front plate and seals the hole to stop water getting into the wall void behind. What usually would happen here, is it typical to fill the hole with sealant or is there usually a proper seal for this?

Attachments

• IMG_20160603_103906.jpg
    IMG_20160603_103906.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 29
I'm guessing that when that was fitted it was nice and flush. Best bet is a retaining screw has loosened over time and needs tightening up.
If there's a little cover on the front that pops off, ther'll be a screw under it. Give it a tighten, or you may need to undo it to get at the fixing screws and tighten them if the first one doesn't sort it.
Can't really tell by looking at that photo though, so use your judgement before undoing anything ;)

Thanks but I suspect that even if tightend and the gap is closed up between the lever and the faceplate, even a gap of 1mm is going to let water bypass and pour through the hole cut through the tiles and backer board around the valve. Some other controls I've seen appear to have a rubber seal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Shower control in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all. Shower is leaking into downstairs when water is being aimed at wall . All sealant has been redone on outside and between shower tray and...
Replies
Views
Hi all I had a new bathroom fitted about 4 months ago and all was fine until about a week ago. But now when I turn the lever to run the rain head...
Replies
Views
Hi Just moved into a house and in process of renewing sealant around the shower cubicle. Feel free to skip to the bottom to get the question...
Replies
Views
Hi - recognise this a bit of an odd one. We have an old failed mixer valve which we need to replace. This valve actually predates a temperature...
Replies
Views
Void under shower former My recently installed solid resin shower tray / wet room former has around 4mm flex across a dinner plate sized area in...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock