Search the forum,

Discuss Should I start again? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tommyboy1289

Good Afternoon/Evening guys,

Little background on me, I was doing a plumbing apprenticeship and was doing really well, around 10 years ago, right near the end of the Level 2 course I went a bit doolally and made some terrible life choices, nothing bad but basically jacked in plumbing.

Now my biggest problem was I got the certificate from the college saying I had completed said course, but never received the City and Guilds one.

Since then I've been doing various jobs but always helping friends out with their plumbing problems, just general stuff no gas work, and regard myself as fairly confident, never had a complaint ect ect.

But around 18 months ago I passed my Class 1 HGV course, and have been driving trucks since then, I've just got my P60 through and earnt a smidgen over £31k last year.

Recently though I've been thinking about plumbing alot, I can't really afford to take a paycut at the moment (paying off my doolally phase of life), but I'm wondering if it's worth starting the ball rolling and starting to go self-employed, start off with a few days plumbing and a few days driving until I've got the customers built up to do 5/6 days a week.

My theory is if I can do this for a few years then look into a gas safe course (when I was an apprentice I was forever working on gas with my employer watching over my shoulder and checking/signing everything off).

So given my situation what would you do? All comments both positive and negative appreciated.

Thanks

Tom

Id keep trucking. Always fancied that for a job. Sipping Costa and eating crisps and doughnuts all day. Do you really think you'll earn over the 31k plumbing?

as above you would take a major pay cut if you went self employed about 1/2-1/3 i would say with start up costs etc

Id keep trucking. Always fancied that for a job. Sipping Costa and eating crisps and doughnuts all day. Do you really think you'll earn over the 31k plumbing?

Haha at £3 a go for costa and £1.50 per doughnut (at service areas) I really don't go for that, and as for the £31k that's one of the reasons to this post, I don't know the average wage, don't expect anyone to disclose their personal finances either.

as above you would take a major pay cut if you went self employed about 1/2-1/3 i would say with start up costs etc

That's what I was afraid of.

Well I started off in the plumbing industry meny years ago, Left it to do what your doing Class 1 driving for over 10 years and now been back in this job for 20+ years again, Big mistake, have done nothing but pay out Courses/insurance/Gas safe the list go's on, If I could I would go back driving again, and 31K is a very good reason to keep doing it.

99p for a cold sausage roll from Gregs, not allowed to heat it .. Motorways -Pah
(breakfast from road side caravan , YUM )

The average wage on the books around me is around £24-26k and that's with gas. I've worked in the industry for 18years and the highest I've been is 31k so I would stick to driving, a few years back I did look into going into driving but never bothered wish I had now though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Should I start again? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

A
Hi all, Happy new year! Hope this is OK in this part of the forum. Been a plumber for about 12 years now, mostly commercial stuff with some domestic and new builds here and there. Sole trader working for numerous different companies. Been thinking that maybe it's time I started my own...
Replies
Views
Hi there, I'm sniffing around what to expect of getting a job in plumbing. My job makes me redundant at the end of September. The whole warehouse moves to the Midlands from Bridgewater. Meanwhile I'm doing my NVQ level 2 in plumbing. The goal of the course is Renewable Energy Engineer. I'll...
Replies
Views
Another newbie in the forums. I’m a 33 year old and after having worked in the Graphic/Web Design industry for around 8 years, I worked a few positions, did a bit of freelance and was continually working late hours and evenings unpaid as well as every weekend. I ended up getting burnout and...
Replies
Views
My name is Chanel i’m 19 years old i’ve just finished my level 2 plumbing course and i’m looking for an apprenticeship or someone who could take me out a couple days of the week to help me get more experience. I did 1 week of work experience at equans doing maintenance but i wouldn’t mind...
Replies
Views
Hi, I’m looking to retrain as a gas engineer and do a new entrants gas course. I’m a bit concerned by the ‘on-job’ work experience/shadowing, as some course want to charge £1500 to pair you up with a qualified engineer. Some courses don’t offer pairing and suggest you find your own engineer to...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock