Search the forum,

Discuss Shock arrestor on cold water pressurising hot water? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, new here. Spark, not a plumber.

I have a question about something at my house that's puzzling me.

Combi boiler system in a terraced house. I've had water hammer/water shock whenever something is turned off quickly, mainly the washer. I fitted a PRV just after the stopcock and reduced the incoming pressure to around 2 bars which stopped the problem but the shower (mixer shower running from the boiler) was terrible at this pressure so upped it 3 bar. Hammer/shock returns but not as bad.

Bought a shock arrestor (Altechnic diaphragm type) and fitted it just before the washer. Happy days it's cured the hammer when the washer/toilet valves shut off. Problem is when a cold water valve or tap is opened anywhere in the house there's hammer/shock coming from the hot tap side now this is when something is opened on the cold side, not shut off. Puzzled me how this is possible? Is the shock arrestor pressurising the hot water by back feeding through the boiler!?

Any ideas or help would be much appreciated.

For info the incoming pressure is 3.5 bars. It's been reduced to 3 bars now by the PRV valve. The arrestor is pre-charged at 3.5 bars.

When you say hammer is this an on going banging or just one thump when you open something

Arrestor needs to be fitted before boiler / cold feed to the boiler should sort you out

Update: Removed the shock arrestor from the washing machine pipe and fitted it to the cold water feed to the boiler. This stopped the symptoms mentioned in the original post but started the Thud/shock when the washer/toilet was shutting off again.

I've completely removed the shock arrestor as it seemed to be causing more issues than it was solving. I've turned the washer and toilet isolators to half way and this has solved the issue of the hammer/thud/shock in the pipes.

Thanks for all the suggestions and replies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Shock arrestor on cold water pressurising hot water? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock