Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Sewer smell in Toilet. Manhole covered, No drain block in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

stalinsunny

We recently moved to a new house. I am shocked to know that the extended kitchen in on top of the manhole. Bathroom, Airing cupboard all have sewer smell. The air space between Ground floor ceiling and first floor is also smelling. There are opening for pipe connection in toilet to the air space where the smell is coming. Same case also in airing cupboard. I closed the gaps with some cardboard, now it is much better. But the problem still there where ever there is opening to this airspace, sewer smell is coming. Kitchen drain in going to a small drain in patio( I don't know the name of it) a square shaped opening which is 8x8 inch. That also smells bad. Could any one please help me to sort out my problems. thanks

You can get test bungs which will seal alot better. Or if your not going to use them. Get suitable cap ends e.g if solvent weld. Solvent weld cap. Upload pics with dimensions and will be sure to help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Its not unusual for a man hole within a property but it must have double seal (normally the seal is filled with grease prior to fitting screw down cover.) However if this is not to standard, i would be inclined to check out all the sanitary waste and soil pipes, including traps as there may well be a few strokes pulled.

all drains on new developements stink due to the lack of open vents and the use of durgos

Thanks very much for the reply. Sorry to say that it is not a new property. Nearly 30 years old. I am the 3rd owner. I couldn't find the vents but there is a durgo valve. Thanks

you will probably find that the durgo has failed and is jammed in the open position.

I am not a fan of durgo valves and only use them as a last option, really they should only be used in conjuction if the building has another open vent. Unfortunatley a lot of people install them because it is quicker, cheaper and easyer than fitting an open vent.

01052011211.jpg01052011212.jpg01052011218.jpg01052011217.jpg01052011215.jpg01052011219.jpg01052011216.jpg01052011210.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Picture five is the air admitance valve as unguided says propably stuck open and letting Sewer smell out just needs a new one fitted

First pictures is from the dining area, where the pipes (concealed in the corner) from upstairs toilet
Second picture is the kitchen where the manhole is covered somewhere.
Rest of the pictures are the places sewer smells
Third picture is the cealing of the ground floor
Forth picture is the Airing cupboard first floor
Fifth picture is the loaft of the extended kitchen where the valve can be seen
6th picture is one of our bedroom were we can see the subfloor space
7th picture is the garden area where the sink drain is going
8th picture is the gap in the bathtub where smell comes through the floor board opening.

Our house is an end terrace on an elevated location. More than 30 year old building
No drain blockage, No smell from inside toilet pan, Bathtub & Sink.
Sewer smell is on and off. I haven't seen a vent pipe in my house or in the neighbouring houses.
Last week some one jet washed from the main drain manhole, where all the seweage from the four nearby houses joining, which is located in the public parking space and there was no blockage.
Could anyone please help me to sort out this. And Thanks very much for all of them for the reply. Many Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Sewer smell in Toilet. Manhole covered, No drain block in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
My living room smells like a sewer but I can't tell where it is coming from. Not sure where to start looking. The saniflo discharge pipe runs...
Replies
Views
Hi all I really need some help or advise….. Back story….. Some years ago my dad had an extension to his house which included a newly built...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I would really appreciate your eyes on these pictures - What do you see ? Does anything look strange about the Rockwool insulation to...
Replies
Views
Hi sorry im a newbie, pls help if u can. I had a new bathroom installed about a yr ago and since then when i flush the toilet the room stinks of...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock