Search the forum,

Discuss Sewage smell with oil fired boiler, can anyone advise? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

Elle

I have a nine year old condensing oil fired boiler which over the last year has started to smell horribly. The smell is like sewage, and for months tried to track down a sewage problem. But the smell only happens when the boiler is working. I've had heating engineers in three times, and each time they service the boiler, replace the jet, check the flue readings and tell me all is well. The day after, it smells again.

It is room sealed, ie, the flue has both the exhaust and the inlet, and the smell is not of clean burned exhaust gas, so if it is burning OK, as I'm told it is, I can only guess the leakage is of gas when it fires up or switches off. But how could this leak into the room?

Does anyone have any ideas, please?

Dead mice can smell like really bad sewage odour. Mice love warm spots and below boilers & inside boiler insulation is their favourite places. Have you any signs of mice about?
Your condense pipework might be linked to the sewer and pipework beyond condense trap could have a bad joint.

It's not gently toasted mouse, the smell has gone on too long and is different from decaying flesh.
I've just been to examine the condensate pipework, and found there is none, just a drain point on the flue low point!
There is dampness around the pressure relief trap.
The smell happens most early morning, so I'll start to check to see if it coincides with water dripping from the flue or escaping from the relief valve.

If it is definitely a condensing boiler you have, then there has to be a condense pipe somewhere from it and a trap. Should normally be a white plastic trap (similar to a sink trap) possibly inside the boiler casing and normally a white 3/4" plastic pipe going to another waste/sewer outlet perhaps

Ah, it seems I have been confused, this is not a condensing boiler, it is only the gas version which condenses. Sorry for the mis-information.

In France, yes, the Basque country which is like Yorkshire only sunnier and at the moment, a LOT drier!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Sewage smell with oil fired boiler, can anyone advise? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I really need some help or advise….. Back story….. Some years ago my dad had an extension to his house which included a newly built downstairs shower room. Recently he had this downstairs shower room re-fitted/decorated. Quite a simple set up consisting of a sink, toilet and shower...
Replies
Views
D
Recently noticed a gas smell coming from my ideal classic RS50 boiler. Cadent have been out and confirmed a small leak and capped off the gas. The question I have though is that the gas smell only appears when the boiler fires up not when the pilot is burning normally. Gas smell continues as...
Replies
Views
We’ve got a bathroom in a 3 year old loft conversion. Pretty much the first time warmer weather rolled around a few months after it was done, I started to notice a bad smell in there – somewhat sewage-like, but different from ‘recently used toilet’ smell. This cycle has repeated each year: cold...
Replies
Views
About 10 months I started having issues with a gas like smell in my home and the gas board was unable to find any gas leak I've still got the issue. When I first made contacted enviromental health I was told the following Could be my drains and to have my drains checked. Could be the sewers...
Replies
Views
I’m at a loss with this one. We renovated a run down house and have lived in it now for about 16 months. We had a new Greenstar 8000 Style 35 installed. Just before Christmas - about 12 months after install - we came home to a funny smell like paint, shoe polish etc - a very chemical smell...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock