Search the forum,

Discuss servicing aga-rayurns in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

CXR100

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
whats there to servicing and repairing the vapourising ones? I have no experience!! I have done my oftec pressure jet exams. what spares should I have to carry? thanks

Nightmare, to be honest! Ask Lame, as I know he does them.
If you really wanted to do some vapourising boilers, then start on an easier one local to you, after you have studied every detail of how it works. A basic Aga, for example, has the set of wicks needed for it. But the burner part must be dead level. The valve at the side of the Aga is something you need to understand as it has a filter and a little valve that need careful cleaning.
Avoid most of them.

The Vaporizing part from oftec first off (oft10-102w and oft10-102d). On top of usual test equipment, smoke pump, Firevalve tester etc. You will also need oil flow rate testing equipment, flue draft tester and preferably a wet flue gas test kit (some modern analysers don't like vaporizing appliances. As Lame will possibly agree, although they look basic in operation they can be very trying, and a great deal of patience is needed.

never used an fga on a vapourising burner yet, all done by correct set up and look of the flame. most problems come from the fuel supply, modern low sulpher fuels are a nightmare, and to be honest you only get called out to the ones that are causing the owners, that have serviced them themselves for years, problems, which you then have to fix. read and learn your vapourising manual from oftec of by heart and you'll have the basics, the rest is experience and trial and error. you will never forget your first call back to the one where you havent set the shells up correctly, ensure you have boiler suit, dust sheets and henry to hand :)

Big no no for beginners, never ever ever get suckered in to servicing a Rayburn Nouvelle oil fired range/boiler cooker, you will be there all day and longer. The experts at AGA run away from them, very few are still using the boiler side as the oil rate is rather high and empty tanks quickly. Apart from that, even though they are simple in functions, setting them up is an absolute pig, you have been warned!!!!

The nouvelle is a nice appliance. They get excellent reviews and commendations over on mumsnet. And the end user is the person to listen too.
Wish I had one in my home.
Either that or a Stanley. Usually people who can afford them are not too concerned about the price of oil I find.
I've fitted a couple of Stanley Brandon twin burners. Sparks always have a problem wiring them.

Last edited by a moderator:
The nouvelle is a nice appliance. They get excellent reviews and commendations over on mumsnet. And the end user is the person to listen too.
Wish I had one in my home.
Either that or a Stanley. Usually people who can afford them are not too concerned about the price of oil I find.
I've fitted a couple of Stanley Brandon twin burners. Sparks always have a problem wiring them.

mumsnet, says it all, better you stay on mums net rather than offer advice on here.........................

We have a Rayburn that also does part of the central heating, but the cosy kitchen effect has been ruined by the gas persons' insistence that we have a gigantic and draughty vent on the back door. I'm ashamed to say that I tape it up with wide sellotape during winter, thus allegedly putting my infant children at risk from carbon monoxide poisoning etc etc. How do the rest of you deal with this? I get serious abuse from the service people if I say the draught is a problem, and I need to have the thing serviced regularly, presumably.

mums net comment, says it all......

On the Stanley you simply remove the blanking plate on the rear, fit the spigot and connect 125mm flexible stainless steel piping to an outside vent spigot.

That's because a Stanley is pressure jet appliance...... NOT vaporising.

I was referring to the gas model as lp mentioned gas in his post..
I'm actually surprised he's using gas when he seems to be an oil buff.
If gas was at my doorstep I'd still stick with oil.

just posted a mums net comment, which happened to talk about gas to prove a point. this thread is about vapourising models to my knowledge

As lame said i've never used fga on one either. If you get a well set up one and you don't alter any settings they can be a doddle with barely any tools needed. If you get a bad one be prepared for a long dirty job with hoover, scrapers, mini levels, flow rate tubes, blowing oil line out, filters, wicks, transformer, burning of oil/carbon, fiddly settings on float valve and bad back from lifting pot out(anybody know where i can get a hoist for them?).

As lame said i've never used fga on one either. If you get a well set up one and you don't alter any settings they can be a doddle with barely any tools needed. If you get a bad one be prepared for a long dirty job with hoover, scrapers, mini levels, flow rate tubes, blowing oil line out, filters, wicks, transformer, burning of oil/carbon, fiddly settings on float valve and bad back from lifting pot out(anybody know where i can get a hoist for them?).

Rob Chagford: AGA Barrel Lifting Kit for Servicing oil fired and solid fuel AGAs I got a 4 legged lifter fm rob a few years ago, I thought safer than his current one, lovely man, used to live on dartmoor I think he may have moved. or Barrel Lifter for Aga range cookers : Agafix Spares!, Discount Pattern Aga, Rayburn and Alpha Cooker Spares for a more expensive one

what is a call back? a return visit to fix a new fault is what I charge for :) you just can't teach it to some folk...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to servicing aga-rayurns in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended...
Replies
Views
IS IT POSSIBLE TO ADJUST THIS MIXER UNIT? WE HAVE TO HAVE IT TURNED ALMOST FULLY ANTI CLOCKWISE TO GET HOT WATEROUT. THE FRONT PLATE WITH MIRA ON...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock