Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Service/isolating valve for outside tap -- need advice in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello guys, a couple of months back I installed a new shower and sink into a part of the house that hadn't previously been plumbed in. This forced me to run some pipes outside the walls, so I put in stopcocks at the point where the new pipework joins the old Just In Case. I used copper pipe and brass compression fittings throughout. It's all working well except...

I added a new outside tap, which I joined to the end of the new run of cold pipe via a double check valve to make sure of compliance. The DCV I picked was a grey plastic push-fit with a built-in drain valve. It was quite expensive and described as "suitable for outside pipework", but it failed in last night's frost. I had to remove the DCV this morning and put a cap on the end of the cold pipe. This was very annoying indeed, although it didn't affect the shower and sink, which are upstream of the DCV.

I need a DCV and a drainoff to take the place of the grey plastic one. I guess an isolation or a service valve would be a good addition, too, in case the outside tap gives me grief.

A well-known builders merchant sold me a brass DCV with built-in drainoff for £8 this morning. It looks OK, but if someone is aware of a DCV/isolator/drainoff combo I'd gladly pay through the nose for it. Any thoughts about using brass DCVs outside? I'd be perfectly happy putting, say, a brass compression 'T' out in the cold, but I don't know how durable the plastic mechanism of a DCV is.

Best, NP

Why is it outside? It will freeze and the internal components will break- as you found out last night….bring the pipework inside - or lag it all extremely well.

Reply to Service/isolating valve for outside tap -- need advice in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock