Search the forum,

Discuss Self employed and CIS in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

AH&B

I am a self employed plumber, if I want to hire a self emplyee labourer would I need to use CIS?

or could he invoice me and I pay him and he sort his accounts at end of year?

Why cannot he invoice me and I pay him?

What i understood CSI to be full installations in new builds? Any alteration or additions is exempt.

Why cannot he invoice me and I pay him?

What i understood CSI to be full installations in new builds? Any alteration or additions is exempt.

My understanding of it is that as you work in the construction industry and you will be the contractor, he will then be a subcontractor and that will qualify under the CIS scheme to make you have to deduct tax at source.

Ok, thanks.

Does it make a difference I don't work on site, I work for private customer homes.

Ok, thanks.

Does it make a difference I don't work on site, I work for private customer homes.

No, that doesn't make a difference. You still carry out work covered under the CIS scheme and are hiring in a subcontractor. That is what my understanding is anyway, I could be proved wrong.

Don't be tempted to pay him any other way than CIS. Somone I know has been investigated and has had a hefty bill for the subcontractors national insurance.

hmrc used to go after the employer for unpaid tax/nics rather than the employees, being that the employer had records to offset the employee costs against tax, so you actually made the taxmans life easier!!!!!!!!!!!

as far as i am aware, if you are cis,and declare you are self employed you must prove to the tax authorities,that you do work for other people wether private commercial or what ever if you do work as a suby for any company say for weeks at a time the tax authorities deem you to be not self employed and you should really be taken on the books by the contractor,the tax authorities now chase contractors abusing cis guys to save on national insurance and employee costs,and you could actually claim holiday pay from contractor depending on the amount of time you have been so called self employed, rant over .

i also know one guy who took his boss to a tribunal,the company went bust and he had been doing cis for a year he claimed for holiday pay and some other monies , the full time employees got redundancy paid by government and as far as the tribunal went he was classed as an employee not self employed and got a good few quid. the fact that he had no control over costing invoicing and profit as set out by the revenue he won the case

Yes you need to be cis registered contractor unless you thinking annual payments will be under £1000, in which case you have to apply for an exception.

I think it's utter crap, it's so inconvenient which shouldn't be the case with subbies, you may aswell employ them. Any other industry doesn't have to do this, just construction. The worst bit is that when I do work for contractors, they take 20%, then when I pay my subbys, I have to pay 20%, which means I have to make at least 20% on the guys or I'm out of pocket, which isn't always possible.

Yes you need to be cis registered contractor unless you thinking annual payments will be under £1000, in which case you have to apply for an exception.

I think it's utter crap, it's so inconvenient which shouldn't be the case with subbies, you may aswell employ them. Any other industry doesn't have to do this, just construction. The worst bit is that when I do work for contractors, they take 20%, then when I pay my subbys, I have to pay 20%, which means I have to make at least 20% on the guys or I'm out of pocket, which isn't always possible.

Its annoying but you will only end up paying the tax at the end of the year anyway. When I work for contractors I don't mind being taxed at source, its all then on account for when April comes around and if you have been paying out wages etc then you may just be due a rebate.

Its annoying but you will only end up paying the tax at the end of the year anyway. When I work for contractors I don't mind being taxed at source, its all then on account for when April comes around and if you have been paying out wages etc then you may just be due a rebate.

I have no issue with personally being taxed at source. But the issue come for me when Iv got a few subbies. For example, If i get paid 200/per person. I would recieve £160 from a contractor, and £40 would go into my hmrc 'account'. Then if I pay them 200, I have to pay their cis of £40, and pay them £160, therefore being £40 out of pocket until the end of year. So if I have 3 guys, plus myself, I bill for 800, I get payed £640. I then pay them 160 each and 40 each to HMRC. Total payed out £600, leaving me with £40 for the day, until I can claim back the 160 that has been payed to the Hmrc. Obviously I try to make at least 20% on each, but it's not always possible when sometimes the price is tight etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Self employed and CIS in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

My son has an apprenticeship interview for to become a plumber and heating engineer. The have said there will be a multiple choice exam for this for suitability. The thing is my son panics during tests/exams. Is there any book I can buy him to practice the multiple choice test for the exam? What...
Replies
Views
Morning to any Australians lurking around! Register its free, then message me, I'll sort your account out for you. We will need a moderator from each main country too. I'll post this in the Australian forum now.
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going to dig it up and replace it 😬. Question is can I use normal 22mm plumbing push-fit connectors to make the connection as finding 22mm MDPE fittings...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer are) and one of the guys there reckoned it might be "The Gap". I went to the new stockist and the guy there disagreed it was "The Gap" and that he'd...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock