Discuss Screwfix at it again! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

leelister6

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Just having a skim through Screwfix sale items and spotted this:

https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/flomasta-magnetic-central-heating-filter-22mm/4672f

Thought it'd be worth picking a couple up but, lo and behold, not available for either pick up or delivery. This is probably the 7 or 8th time they've had stuff on for silly prices but aren't actually selling them. A while ago they had a £250 Makita biscuit jointer for £30, same story. Is it a sales ploy? Cos if it is it sucks balls!

Every new catalogue they bring out and the prices rocket and the price increases are not something we can continually pass on to our customers. The rock bottom sales prices are exactly what Ric2013 describes above. They are discontinued items and are only available in a few stores. I did manage to grab a multitool that was reduced to £30, but had to travel 30 miles to another store to collect it. Luckily I was working not too far away on the day I went for it.

The way things are going was explained to me by an md of a large plumbing and heating outfit. Customers are being pulled towards screwfix , toolstation etc. Where things are cheap but no expert help is available. The local plumbers merchant excel at advice and customers will also go there. However B & Q are suffering badly in that they have a large inventory, high prices and poor advice, essentially inexperienced staff wandering around directing customers to the correct isle. The future is bright but its not B&Q orange
Rob Foster aka centralheatking

I remember going into B&Q a few years ago and the plumbing “expert” tried selling a really old bloke about £30 of fittings for a small job he was doing. I collared the old bloke before he got to the counter, Told him to put em back, took him to my van and gave him 3 fittings, told him what to do with em and said to give me a ring if he had any problems. He rang me later on to thank me and I advised him to go to local builders merchant who I know would not goose him in future and are very knowledgeable. B&Q are ok if you need summat and they’re close and you know what you want but I generally avoid. Toolstation and Screwfix are great, free delivery to job etc but I’m a big believer in using the independents if possible. When they’re gone, they’re gone!

The likes of b&q, Wickes, Toolstation and Screwfix are just a 'handy' place to pick up gear, but as said above, if you want sound advice, go to a plumbers merchant. Even the prices can be cheaper in some instances. As far as the websites are concerned, you have two conflicting problems here. The company generally knows nothing about how a website should be built and operate for their business and secondly, a Web designer generally knows nothing about their products. Put the two together and you end up with a website that sends you to the wrong product or cannot find what you are searching for. B&q website in the early days used to drive me crazy. For example, me searching for dpc had no results. Expanded to Damp Proof Membrane... No results. Eventually found it by scrolling through tonnes of building materials. Yes, it was there but there was no link from any relevant search terms used.

Reply to Screwfix at it again! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock