Discuss Scrap! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
hello all, i am about to make my first trip to a scrap yard so im just sorting through my copper collection,

my mate says you should seperate into different bags

i.e clean copper and mixed copper, is copper which has old paint on classed as clean or mixed? thanks all

Just recently, scrap place told me that painted pipe was no good for " pure copper" so they added it to brazery. Pure copper means just that, no plaster, paint, heavy outer corrosion, solder, fittings, or even copper olives! You could always torch paint of small amounts. If in doubt, put it in brazery. Strangely, they allow brass fitting with bits copper pipe in it, as brazery. Get prices before you go, as scrap places can take you for a ride!

Should have said, that some scrap dealers may not be as fussy as others, but they may also be giving you less per kilo!

No problem! While on the subject, I wonder what the price of scrap is now? It was ÂŁ5 a kilo for pure copper not long ago & about ÂŁ4.80 for brazery. Brass was a lot less, but as you know, taps etc are heavy, so adds up!

yeah, i have been collecting it for about 4 years but only get tiny bits at a time so i have sorted it all now, got about 5 bss bags full of clean copper and a bag of mixed, also a few sets of taps, just something towards a drink on xmas eve!

You might be surprised what it is worth! I take all the little bits of copper & brass from all sorts things. Some of the electric showers no longer use copper tanks but still have a substantial element. It's like throwing pound coins away if you don't take a min to strip parts out.

yh my boss always gets me stripping down electric showers and taking pumps apart and stuff, unfortunately he doesnt share what he gets for the scrap lol!

Are people weighing in now or waiting till the price goes up? Looking and the scrap sites the line graphs are all going downhill. :biker:

Hold onto your scrap at the moment, prices are down. Check commodity prices on the net before selling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Scrap! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Went to a small hotel we put new boilers and cylinder in last year as they were complaining about no hot water and heating on the top floor. I...
Replies
Views
I have read a few threads including one by Debbie Stano that were similar to my issue but that thread stopped a while back without any resolution...
Replies
Views
This issue arose about a year ago. Does anyone have an idea why I occasionally hear (about once every hour or longer) a hammer related noise...
Replies
Views
    • Winner
Hi all, I joined today and am a newbie at plumbing DIY. Thought I'd share my experience replacing the stopcock under my sink. The old one looked...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hello, I'm a homeowner, not a DIYer. I have an almost 1 year old SaniCompact Comfort wall-hung toilet which has worked flawlessly until about a...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock