Search the forum,

Discuss Saunier Duval SD 30e Boiler. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

gtmspyder

Good morning gentlemen.

I have a Saunier Duval boiler with lock out problems.

It has 3 micro-switches, two of which are operated by a spring loaded water operated diaphragm bellows which pushes a stainless pin out to impinge onto a clip on micro switch to actuate it.

1)Domestic hot water flow, (part No802299) this switches the boiler from heating demand to DHW.

2)Pressure differential switch, (Part No801189) who's micro switch is in series with the boiler cut off switch and locks out the boiler if the pin retracts due to a loss of pressure.

3)Water pressur switch, (Part No 227099 ammended)) which is marked on the instructions I have as "low water ressure switch".

I have in the past, a long time ago, changed switch 3, and it has given me no further trouble.

Switches 1 and 2 , have regularly played up with either the micro switch failing, or the rubber membrane in the water operated bellows assembly failing.

I have just changed the bellows and micro switch on switch 1, as the stainless pin was sticking and not returning to heating mode when the tap was turned off

I have yet to service switch 2 as the pin of that bellows unit is stuck in the pushed out micro switch operating position , but ran out of time due to other commitments, as this requires draining part of the heating system down to drain the bellows.

What is puzzling me, and my quesion is, the 3rd switch, (Part No227099 ammended), if that is the low water micro switch, and one presumes will shut down the boiler, why is switch 2 also doing the same thing with a loss of water?

Co incidentally, switches 1 and 2 are interchangeable, I know the Domestic hot water switch (1) has three wires and the pressure differential (2) has two, but the red wire of switch one does nothing.

Also strangely, I have to use Pumb Centre, (Yes I know they are crap and overcharge, but that is my local supplier and I no longer have access to trade prices) but the price they charge for the 3 wire micro switch is £3 plus vat cheaper than the 2 wire switch, how crazy is that???

A little history to put your minds at ease.

I am a 74 year old retired hospital engineer of thirty years standing, I did attend an old Corgi course with my fitters at the time, because I have always believed I should be able to do whatever I ask any of my staff to do. I am an electrical and mechanical engineer and had many boilers under my jurisdiction from tiddly domestic boilers in the many staff houses upto 20,000 lbs/hr steam raising boilers fired by gas, oil and solid fuel during my tenency of that position.

Thanking you for your time in reading this.

Kind regards,

BrianT.

Unfortunately no matter what previous experience you have its the law of the land that you cant work on gas appliances unless you are currently registered with the relevant body

Unfortunately no matter what previous experience you have its the law of the land that you cant work on gas appliances unless you are currently registered with the relevant body

I have a Valiant VCV 282 E and recently I added an external expansion vessel as the pressure kept rising above 3bar, this fixed the problem.

However, The boiler also has another issue:

I use the thermostat to call for heat and the boiler fires up, it runs for 30 mins or so, then just goes off (doesn't trip and lockout, and I think the fan and pump keep running) , then 15 mins or so later it comes back on again, then it continues to do the same cycle until the thermostat temp is reached and the call for heat signal goes off. The hot water is unaffected.

Any ideas on where to start?

Thanks
Tom

Read more: http://www.ukplumbersforums.co.uk/c...-mins-off-15-then-again-so.html#ixzz2B5B6DUqE

Hello Steve, why did you answer this gentleman's question positively, and gave a truthfull if none answer to my question?

Regards,

BrianT

Well gentlemen, I must say I am very dissapointed that no one wants to put there head above the parapet.

Next time you drive your white van above the speed limit, remember, you are breaking the law, and potentially, driving a loaded weapon.

I have engineering qualifications, electrical and mechanical far in excess of any plumbers requirements. I have built two kit cars and had them go through the stringent SVA test and pass first time. I have been an engineering manager at very large general hospitals, I have built three violins and had musical praise for there very musical qualities, I have built, plumbed, wired and done the very extensive joinery
in my own house. And because I am not prepared to jump through the protectionist hoops for your closed shop, that I am incapable of servicing the toy boiler that heats my house. I asked a simple question, and because I lack the simple piece of paper which you refer to, I am not allowed to be given information on my own boiler, yet I could be employed, and work on industrial boilers with far more destructive power than any domestic boiler could attain.

Yes, I know you have to pay for your gas registry certificate, and I know it is not cheap, but if you worked for me and came to my office, asking for help with some boiler problem you had encountered, would I be expected to assist you, or keep the information to myself and send you on your way to find out for yourself?

Any way, I am clearly going to get no help here, so I will wish you all good bye, and may you prosper in your protectionism.

Kind regards,

BrianT.

Well gentlemen, I must say I am very dissapointed that no one wants to put there head above the parapet.

Next time you drive your white van above the speed limit, remember, you are breaking the law, and potentially, driving a loaded weapon.

I have engineering qualifications, electrical and mechanical far in excess of any plumbers requirements. I have built two kit cars and had them go through the stringent SVA test and pass first time. I have been an engineering manager at very large general hospitals, I have built three violins and had musical praise for there very musical qualities, I have built, plumbed, wired and done the very extensive joinery
in my own house. And because I am not prepared to jump through the protectionist hoops for your closed shop, that I am incapable of servicing the toy boiler that heats my house. I asked a simple question, and because I lack the simple piece of paper which you refer to, I am not allowed to be given information on my own boiler, yet I could be employed, and work on industrial boilers with far more destructive power than any domestic boiler could attain.

Yes, I know you have to pay for your gas registry certificate, and I know it is not cheap, but if you worked for me and came to my office, asking for help with some boiler problem you had encountered, would I be expected to assist you, or keep the information to myself and send you on your way to find out for yourself?

Any way, I am clearly going to get no help here, so I will wish you all good bye, and may you prosper in your protectionism.

Kind regards,

BrianT.
would you o this for nothing ? surely not

and if we gave you information and something happened, who would you blame ?

Kind regards,

BrianT.
if we stop one numpty with a superiority complex killing themselves or there loved ones we have done our job,dont be so tight and call someone more qualified than yourself in

Good morning gentlemen.

I have a Saunier Duval boiler with lock out problems.

It has 3 micro-switches, two of which are operated by a spring loaded water operated diaphragm bellows which pushes a stainless pin out to impinge onto a clip on micro switch to actuate it.

1)Domestic hot water flow, (part No802299) this switches the boiler from heating demand to DHW.

2)Pressure differential switch, (Part No801189) who's micro switch is in series with the boiler cut off switch and locks out the boiler if the pin retracts due to a loss of pressure.

3)Water pressur switch, (Part No 227099 ammended)) which is marked on the instructions I have as "low water ressure switch".

I have in the past, a long time ago, changed switch 3, and it has given me no further trouble.

Switches 1 and 2 , have regularly played up with either the micro switch failing, or the rubber membrane in the water operated bellows assembly failing.

I have just changed the bellows and micro switch on switch 1, as the stainless pin was sticking and not returning to heating mode when the tap was turned off

I have yet to service switch 2 as the pin of that bellows unit is stuck in the pushed out micro switch operating position , but ran out of time due to other commitments, as this requires draining part of the heating system down to drain the bellows.

What is puzzling me, and my quesion is, the 3rd switch, (Part No227099 ammended), if that is the low water micro switch, and one presumes will shut down the boiler, why is switch 2 also doing the same thing with a loss of water?

Co incidentally, switches 1 and 2 are interchangeable, I know the Domestic hot water switch (1) has three wires and the pressure differential (2) has two, but the red wire of switch one does nothing.

Also strangely, I have to use Pumb Centre, (Yes I know they are crap and overcharge, but that is my local supplier and I no longer have access to trade prices) but the price they charge for the 3 wire micro switch is £3 plus vat cheaper than the 2 wire switch, how crazy is that???

A little history to put your minds at ease.

I am a 74 year old retired hospital engineer of thirty years standing, I did attend an old Corgi course with my fitters at the time, because I have always believed I should be able to do whatever I ask any of my staff to do. I am an electrical and mechanical engineer and had many boilers under my jurisdiction from tiddly domestic boilers in the many staff houses upto 20,000 lbs/hr steam raising boilers fired by gas, oil and solid fuel during my tenency of that position.

Thanking you for your time in reading this.

Kind regards,

BrianT.
It really doesn't matter what engineering qualifications you have, if you are not gas safe registered you cannot work on this appliance, im sure with your background you understand the law regarding certain trades, please call in someone who is qualified to do the work before jumping the gun.

It is unlikely that you are more qualified, unless you have two engineering degrees, you would not have a clue in a modern hospital with aneasthetics, xray, pneumatics, hydraulics, vacuum, 11kv power supplies, transformers, generators, sterilisers, industrial laundry equipment, I could go on, but, next time you visit a hospital, just have a close look at all the infra structure, and reflect on the fact that I was responsible and could fault find and maintain ALL of this.

So I don't think numpty quite covers all that. You think your gas council qualification would get you anywhere but sorting small kettles out, then think again sunbeam.

You are not bothered about protecting me, just in protecting your lucrative trade.

Sticks and stones and all that.

I have been polite in all my correspondence, part of my training, a little humility would not come amiss in your case.

Regards,

BrianT.

Kind regards,

BrianT.

And protection is something we take very seriously in our game with our piddly little boilers, that may i add that if some unqualified person tries to fix could harm, or very easily kill people, please dont think your exempt from this rule, your not qualified, don't touch it!

It is unlikely that you are more qualified, unless you have two engineering degrees, you would not have a clue in a modern hospital with aneasthetics, xray, pneumatics, hydraulics, vacuum, 11kv power supplies, transformers, generators, sterilisers, industrial laundry equipment, I could go on, but, next time you visit a hospital, just have a close look at all the infra structure, and reflect on the fact that I was responsible and could fault find and maintain ALL of this.

So I don't think numpty quite covers all that. You think your gas council qualification would get you anywhere but sorting small kettles out, then think again sunbeam.

You are not bothered about protecting me, just in protecting your lucrative trade.

I have been polite in all my correspondence, part of my training, a little humility would not come amiss in your case.

Regards,

BrianT.

are you gas safe registered? or have you ever been corgi registered?

and the next time i visit a hospital (which i hope isn't soon) i wont be looking at those things because i have no idea how they work so i would get someone who is qualified to do it, would you be happy sending a plasterer to look at the machines you DID work on? i think not.

Regards,

BrianT.
brian,i really dont care what you have done in a past life,and it has nothing to do with protecting our trade,being a good engineer is giving safety your first priority ,if you cant do that your in the wrong job,if you knew what you where doing then you would not be on the net looking for advice,and as mentioned you are not a gas engineer however i am and have been for a long time and will not tolerate people prepared to compromise others by saving a few bob,you wont get your answers here i am afraid except it and move on

Brian please take a look here and this will give you the correct law to which you should abide to, and if not could be working illegally, and with two engineering degrees im sure you will understand, and just to add we deal with things a bit bigger than boiling kettles so please in the greatest respect do not make us out to be uneducated in our trade, we are registered, qualified, gas engineers, YOU ARE NOT, simple.

Gas Safe Register | Ensure your gas engineer is registered.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Saunier Duval SD 30e Boiler. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have a saunier duval opalia c 16 gas water heater. It is not functioning and it may be a sensor, temperature or flow. I am looking for advice and possible parts. Snohomish County, Washington state.
Replies
Views
Hi, I have an unvented water heater which for some reason every year causes me issues. At the end of 2023 I noticed that the pressure valve gauge was going up when the water tank was switched on. My local plumber came and re-pressured the expansion vessel as it was flat, afterwards we tested...
Replies
Views
Hi there As you can see from the video below, our pump exploded. The question I have is, this pump is added to a firebird condensing boiler and when we found this mess the boiler and pump were stil operating but the pressure in the boiler was reading 0. Should the pressure switch have kicked in...
Replies
Views
Hi, whenever my Gloworm 18r is on even if I leave it on non-stop for 6 hours the flame symbol for the burner never switches off and the radiator icon never stops flashing implying the rads are calling for more heat, even though they're all red hot and have been for hours, is this a fault or just...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, New here & my first post! I have a Worcester greenstar 24i, it is a conventional boiler, it has a water tank upstairs. For the past year the hot water when turned on was intermittent. I repressurised the expansion vessel to 1 bar and the hot water switch when turned on worked...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock