Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Sanitary silicone for seals? in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi,
I have question. 2 days ago my bath hub trap got blocked so decided to replace it as they are quite cheap. In local store they sold me the all necessary equipment. I removed the old trap and installed new one. I used sanitary silicone so seal it everywhere. So I used thin layer under the seal, over the seal, then where the overflow pipe is going to waste system also used sanitary silicone. Not I read everywhere and I can't an information about it but is it right to use sanitary silicone on them seals and pipes? Sanitary silicone is acidic and now I'm worried that it will react with plastics and rubber and it will start leaking soon, so I decided to ask experts. Should I be worried or it is fine?
Also 2nd question, is it OK to use bathhub after like 2 hours of applying that silicone? I know that it is 24h to let it dry but want to fill be thahub to see the if the overflow is not leaking and then I have to flush the whole water through a new system.
Thanks for all the answers.

I'm not aware of acetoxy silicone being a problem, especially considering sanitary silicone is often designed for the purpose of sealing around baths (as Undertrained has commented, what does the sealant manufacturer say?). Myself I usually use Plumber's Gold which is a neutral cure sealant (if I understand correctly) but would happily use sanitary silicone even if it were acetoxy. Does anyone have a verifiable source to suggest acetoxy will cause trouble?

City and Guilds training course suggests using Plumbers Mait on plastic will lead to eventual damage, but many on this forum swear by it.

As far as curing time is concerned, I recommend my customers leave 24 hours, but you'll probably get away with 2.

Reply to Sanitary silicone for seals? in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock