Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss safety device testing for landlords gas safety certs. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
U

unitedgas

Hi guys.

I am new to the industry. Qualified just over a year ago. I mostly work on central heating.
I've been asked to do some cp12s. Can anyone give me any advice?
Specifically on checking safety devices of appliances.

cheers.

they must all trip within 60 seconds and with your manometer on the inlet, observe no movement. The blip test. This is for the thermoelectric type on boilers and ovens. Then the bypass rate on oven stat and rectification is just cut the gas off and make sure it goes to lock out

did you not do any during your training and building a portfolio, as that was the reason for having a porfolio of works done!

did you not do any during your training and building a portfolio, as that was the reason for having a porfolio of works done!
thats pretty harsh we all learn on the job after 40 years of mostly instals ive gone over to servicing and ll certs and its a whole different ball game im still playing catch up after four months

just wonder what is the point of the portfolio, best go and buy Mr Regin's book and learn how to do some of the tests available. Ie how to check that when the gas valve has locked out, it isn't passing etc etc

When i did my portfolio, worked alongside probably 10 service engineers and struggled to find one that new how to test controls. I now know many other gas safe engineers who havent a clue how to test controls because they have never been properly taught. Alot of stuff is just skipped over. Alot of engineers only ever install and commission new systems so never test controls apart from the usual commissioning stuff.

I bought an I pad, expensive if your starting out but as long as you've got a signal you can download mi's for any appliance and refer to that, always carry my orange bible (gas book) and the other one with the tables for id, ar & NSC (sorry forgot the name oops). Keep your text books in the van and a trusted experienced engineer on speed dial if you get stuck who wouldn't mind helping you out. I always phone a friend when I'm having a brain fart and likewise they phone me. Take your time, think it through, if you get stuck, make safe and seek help. It will come with time mate

You can use the blip test on gas valves with a thermocouple as flame failure, but best practice is to do a tightness test when all the appliances have gone to flee failure. Way I was taught, switch off boilers at the mains when fired up, this should cause the gas valve to close. With stuff like fires, either switch the gas off at the ecv and connect your gauge and wait for pressure to stop dropping, or the best way is to blow out the pilot and wait to hear the gas valve click as it closes. Then do a tightness test.

[DLMURL]http://www.radmidlands.co.uk/Downloads/ControlsDom.pdf[/DLMURL]

sum gud info.

Last edited by a moderator:
[DLMURL]http://www.radmidlands.co.uk/Downloads/ControlsDom.pdf[/DLMURL]

sum gud info.

Great link m8, I have just saved that to the Ipad for the upset customers I come across !!

An Ipad with the words on it can sometimes be easier to describe TO THE UNHAPPY !!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
If you go in to a property where gas appliances have been capped off but are left in situ do you still put these down on the cp12 and do you only have to visually check them?

Thermo electic fsd,isolate gas, click test and mini tightness test.

Flame recitification, isolate gas, wait for lockout, mini tightness test

Liquid expansion FSD, should light initially to maintenance flame, then full burner when the valve opens. (if straight to full burner,valve open)

liquid expansion thermostat, run appliance for 10 minutes, turn appliance down low, valve closes, full burner should go to a maintenance flame. if the burner goes out then the bypass is blocked.

No I sat down at college and listened instead of messing around and also asked my mentor how to do things, wasnt hard.
and you still come across stuff after that that no amount of explaining how it worked will replace experience,i remember when you had not long joined us lame and was asking questions

I listened very carefully during college too and passed my UP1A testing and purging, UP1A full scope, indirect fired appliances 70kw to 2mw, commercial to domestic changeover, boilers, cookers, fires and water heaters no problem.

Spent months on commercial pressure loses, tightness testing and purging. then about 2 weeks on boilers.

To say that i felt a bit intimidated when servicing and fault finding on my 1st boilers in the real world was an understatement.

I also know very little after completing training. It's all stuff you pick up with experience when you get involved.

Best guide is manufacturers destructions

I also know very little after completing training. It's all stuff you pick up with experience when you get involved.

Best guide is manufacturers destructions

Unfortunately manufacturers do not supply a list of safety checks to be carried out on their appliances.

They supply fault finding guides (sometimes bad) and component replacement guides.

If manufacturers supplied exact and specific check list for each appliance, all gas engineers could
spend an equal amount of time on each appliance and charge accordingly to their individual pricing policy.

Ok I suppose that is in an ideal world, but :-

I DON'T MIND BEEN TOLD I AM EXPENSIVE IF I AM DOING THE SAME JOB :mad:

What happens at present is companies/engineers try and do gas safety inspections as quickly as poss, so the price charged for them is driven down, as it is seen as easy work.

The only problem is, the tenants safety/property is at risk, a big fatality will happen and our trade will be tarnished.

Rant over !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to safety device testing for landlords gas safety certs. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock