Discuss Rusty back boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

Help4me

Hi everyone,

Wondered if anyone could throw some light on my back boiler please?
We recently moved and we have a Baxi Bermuda 57/3M or 45/3M back boiler with 70's style gas fire.
A new box that covers the boiler had been fitted, but the boiler itself looks like something from a scrap yard!
It looks completely rusty. I could also see like a drip mark from it that was also rust coloured that had gone onto the inside side of the box. The boiler is serviced every year and I've been told that it doesn't need to be replaced yet. But, I'm worried about the rust. There isn't any pieces of rust falling off. It looks as if it's been cleaned up.

Is it usual to carry on using a boiler like this?

Thanx,
Help4me

yes regular servicing is essential but they all look like a rusty lump of iron provided it dry theres no reason to worry
having said that if you intend doing a lot of work on the place. this boiler is old and will probbaly need replacing eventually so it may be a good idea to replace now rather than have to distrupt work youve done
always sort the basics first before decoration

Thanx alot. We're in a rented house so unfortunately we can't upgrade ourselves, but what you've said has put my mind at rest now. We didn't know anything about boilers.

Help4me

If you're renting then the landlord has to have a safety check carried out every year. If it's checked and serviced by a competent gas engineer then you don't need to worry. It is an open flued appliance so the ventilation is important too. I would advise fitting a CO detector for peace of mind.

They're not the most efficient boilers now but they are reliable,and any gas engineer worth his salt will have worked on a few of these.

Thanks Bartdude.

Yeah, we have electric CO monitor on the ceiling, and of course, the very drafty vent in wall.

Help4me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Rusty back boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock