Discuss Running washing machine waste - long "trap" in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mlippett

I have some routing issues with my grey waste - I have to get over or under another appliance. I don't want to go up, as the washer will back-fill. I was wondering about the possibility of installing the usual pipe down to floor level (for reasons I won't go into I can run a 40mm pipe along the floor), but rather than having a trap there, installing an elbow and running horizontal along the floor for 2m, then popping up about 30cm before T-ing into an existing waste pipe. AFAICS this effectively creates a 2m long trap. Is that OK?

It's only going to be like this for a couple of months, so a semi-temporary solution is ok.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

-Mark

Hi Radioman,

I don't think so, since new grey waste from the washer will cause the "long trap" to overflow into the existing waste pipe.

Cheers

Agreed don't think that amount of water will siphon.

The pump is not designed to work like that and you will shorten the life span of it, that is if it even can do what you propose. The water will not syphon away so any new water will have to push the old water in the pipe along first.

The 30cm length of pipe rising at the end is the issue here leaving old water in the horizontal section of pipe.

I may be missing something here, but it's like us have taken the bottom of a normal trap and stretched it to 2m, with the 30cm rise being the opposite end of the trap. As with all traps, it'll work under gravity, not syphoning - once it is full, adding water at the machine end will cause old water to spill out at the other end.

mark

Mark

That's what I thought! Maybe it is too complicated for some plumbers to understand!! Or am I the dimwit here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Running washing machine waste - long "trap" in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all, I'm installing a concrete patio out back. By the wall under the kitchen sink I have an existing P-Trap gully for the grey water from the...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock