Search the forum,

Discuss Roughly how much to get OFTEC qualifed and registered? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

aligorgon

Hi guys

I have recently gone self employed and am Gas safe registered for domestic/commercial and industrial.

I don't particularly want to get oil qualified as I have enough stuff floating around in my head relating to gas regs but if I do decide to would like to know roughly how much it would cost?

Alternatively, I assume I can install a oil tank and boiler but leave the final connections then ring a oftec registered engineer to come and make the final connections and commission the boiler.... Please correct me if I am wrong ...

I do have all the oftec training manuals so have all the info required for siting the tank, oil line and boiler.

Cheers

I recently did my OFTEC 101 and 105e assessment with Worcester, it cost £350 or you can do the 600a, which is for tanks, along with 101 and 105e for £500. I haven't registered with OFTEC yet, but I was told it is in the region of £600 for registration.

I recently did my OFTEC 101 and 105e assessment with Worcester, it cost £350 or you can do the 600a, which is for tanks, along with 101 and 105e for £500. I haven't registered with OFTEC yet, but I was told it is in the region of £600 for registration.

Thanks Ricky

And with regards to my 2nd question, can I legally install tank and boiler leaving final connection off and request a oftec reg'd engineer to come commission it for me? I know a lot of ppl do this with gas appliances.

No. At the moment you can go the whole kit and kaboodle but you'd have to get building control to come sign it off.

It's not right and I would rather oil has the same restrictions as gas.

But it is how it is.

Ok thanks croppie,

I assumed that oil regs worked pretty much the same way as gas regs.

I only ask because as previously mentioned I have just set up as a sole trader, i have been asked to quote on a bungalow a few miles away which, presently has no gas or oil.

The new owner wants a combi type oil boiler installing, along with full heating system, ensuite, wc, new kitchen and bathroom.
I would hope in the future to be in a position to backheal oil jobs, but right now I cant afford to turn the work down.

Like I say I have all the current oftec training books (slowly reading through them) so sticking to the regs isnt a problem I would happier though getting a oftec engineer coming to commission the boiler.

My gas safe no. Is 548794 btw

Thanks Ricky

And with regards to my 2nd question, can I legally install tank and boiler leaving final connection off and request a oftec reg'd engineer to come commission it for me? I know a lot of ppl do this with gas appliances.

apart from being dodgy/illegal doing it with gas I find that going in behind others to commission an oil appliance costs the customer. last one i relaid the oil line to remove all the soldered joints and before that on another had to redo feeds from tigerloop to put it outside! and have the flexi pipes completely within the boiler casing as well as putting in firevalves on bith appliances. neither customer was impressed with the installers, and I earned some nice extras above just doing what should be a simple pj commissioning

right well i wouldn't be stupid enough to those things...

but i think i will ring a local oftec engineer to see if they would be interested in pricing up the fitting of the boiler, tank, oil line, and commisioning and I will do the rest of the installation.

right well i wouldn't be stupid enough to those things...

but i think i will ring a local oftec engineer to see if they would be interested in pricing up the fitting of the boiler, tank, oil line, and commisioning and I will do the rest of the installation.

Very good idea, it allows you to concentrate on what you are good at plus make sure they know they are responsible (answerable to the customer) for their part of the job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Roughly how much to get OFTEC qualifed and registered? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the man-door to the boiler room. It's intent is to 'halt' the operation of the boilers in the room should there be an emergency. He is demanding that I do...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock