Discuss RIP Les Munro the last surviving dambusters pilot in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R.I.P Les Munro .....just watched his amazing story on News at Ten.....Turnpin

It vexes me greatly that many youngsters dont realise what they went through so that we could live in a free land and many of those coming to this country dont care.

RIP, les Munro ,

They made them in a different mould back then.

We still see their like from time to time, but not often enough.

RIP Squadron Leader Munroe.

One of the last of his kind - brave and selfless men and women who risked their all for the greater good.

Rest in peace Squadron Leader Munro.

so you all think todays pilots are not as brave, todays soldiers not as hardy, and our navy boys less courageous sorry i dont see that. Most heros are someone who was in the wrong place at the wrong time and was lucky to get a way with it ,same in 2015 as 60 years ago im not belittling the dambusters just saying nothing has changed
In some ways joining the dambusters saved many of their lives how many would have died in active service during the 12 weeks training, its a long while since i read the book but i know one dam wasnt even defended

so you all think todays pilots are not as brave, todays soldiers not as hardy, and our navy boys less courageous sorry i dont see that.

I don't really think you can quantify bravery Steve. Anyone who can go to war is a braver man than I but it's undeniable that today's armed forces are better trained and equipped than those of WW2. They are largely volunteers, and most will go into the forces fairly confident of coming back.

The disparity in weaponry, training and preparedness between UK forces and our enemies nowadays is far greater than was the case back then.

ISIS and Taliban forces have no advanced fighter jets, no long-range high-altitude bombers that can drop payloads from far out of the range of anti-aircraft weaponry. We have drones that can devastate large swathes of land without any risk to human life, bomb disposal robots, precision laser-guidance systems that a small recon troop can use to call in air support.

Yes, modern soldiers are very brave but of 19 planes that left on that sortie, only 8 made it back. No recent conflict has had that sort of odds. Just my opinion from the safety of a Spanish balcony, and given with absolute respect to the men and women who voluntarily risk their lives to enable me to live mine in peace and freedom.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to RIP Les Munro the last surviving dambusters pilot in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock