Search the forum,

Discuss Riello oil pump - broken key driving pump gears in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi, after some investigating I found the key driving the pump gears was sheared and the drive shaft did not move the pump gears.
How on earth did that happen? 2 year old (just out of warranty of course), only on for a couple of hours a day to heat water (being a very hard up pensioner I live int he kitchen in winter and only use the heating for a max of an hour perhaps twice a day.
The pump filter was clean.
Jet changed every year and fuel pipe last year.
Being a bit handy I made a new key form an old allen key and pump is working again.
But why did it break?? (and where did the pieces go???)

Hi, after some investigating I found the key driving the pump gears was sheared and the drive shaft did not move the pump gears.
How on earth did that happen? 2 year old (just out of warranty of course), only on for a couple of hours a day to heat water (being a very hard up pensioner I live int he kitchen in winter and only use the heating for a max of an hour perhaps twice a day.
The pump filter was clean.
Jet changed every year and fuel pipe last year.
Being a bit handy I made a new key form an old allen key and pump is working again.
But why did it break?? (and where did the pieces go???)

Unfortunately for you Riello don't make really good pumps and the drive key is a very common failing point. I have known people make a makeshift drive key like you have to get themselves out of trouble but I wouldn't bet on it holding out long.
You can buy new drive keys, I have a few spare lying around myself but usually it's a new pump.
Again I've known many more Riello drive keys and gear sets fail than other pump manufacturers.

Unfortunately for you Riello don't make really good pumps and the drive key is a very common failing point. I have known people make a makeshift drive key like you have to get themselves out of trouble but I wouldn't bet on it holding out long.
You can buy new drive keys, I have a few spare lying around myself but usually it's a new pump.
Again I've known many more Riello drive keys and gear sets fail than other pump manufacturers.
Wow, thanks for the quick reply!
I must admit I do not think it is a permanent solution as the keyway on the gear was damaged. I am surprised they sell the keys, far more money for them to sell the pumps.
The boiler was fitted by a Grant recognised firm with all the qualifications. I am an amateur, but I knew there were corners being cut. When I realised the pump was broken I checked the flow of oil from the tank - and flecks of metal appeared in the container - bits of copper, so I assume the fitter cut the oil pipe with a saw and did not flush it out.
Logically some of the copper might have made it's way past the filter and jammed the pump - but there was no sign of any contamination, and also no bits of the key.
Where could I get a proper key, they only show the filter and gaskets as spares in their parts list.
I think the allen key I used will be too soft to last very long, although perhaps being a bit softer might mean it will not snap but putting off buying a new pump will be good, things seem so expensive this year.

I bought my last set through eBay I think but there are several places like heatingworldofspares.co.uk that might supply them.
Someone I know has a firm local to him make some more durable carbon steel ones I believe.
I've even known an engineer cut down a nail to use to get the customer out of trouble over the weekend.

Reply to Riello oil pump - broken key driving pump gears in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock