Discuss Replacing Zone Valves in the Plumbing Zone area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

retroviper

Hi
I am going to attempt to change the two leaking zone valves in my airing cupboard at the weekend.
A couple of questions can I swap the existing Danfoss ones with Honeywell ones or are the valve bodys different?
Is it pretty straightforward swapping them or a complete nightmare? Looks ok if I can just release the nuts and swap them or do I have to renew the olives or anything else?

it all depends if the nuts fit,you cant really tell without trying if they dont cut the olives off and replace the nuts

Ok thanks do they come with olives? and what is the best way to get the old ones off a hacksaw?

yes they come with nuts and olives hacksaws about the best tool to use being careful not to cut the pipe

you should check how many wires are on your Danfoss valve and get the same or you might have problems rewiring the new one in.

As above, hacksaw through olives most of the way then insert a flat-head screwdriver into the groove you've created and twist to split the olive. This ensures you don't score the tube by going too far with your hacksaw.

Having said all that, a heating circuit which will be operating at max. 2 bar (much much lower if open) will be OK re-using the existing olives, perhaps with half a dozen windings of PTFE over them first.

be very careful not to stress the pipework in the airing cupboard when doing the work. If you have old leaky zone valves, the chances are the rest of the system could be fairly fragile and if you tug things around too mch you may find you have a split coil and all that involves! As always thinking like a pessimist but been there, done it, learnt

If you have leaky zone valves, unless it is coming from the valve body just tighten the nuts and sort the leak.
As for the valves themselves, if you are swapping them,
Danfoss valves are course thread and Honeywell are fine. You will have to change the nuts. Follow the above advice regards the hacksaw (junior).
Also Danfoss have no earth wire and Honeywell do. All other wires are the same.

i just put an adjustable spanner behind the nut and give it a few smacks and it removes the olive, i have an olive splitter somewhere in the van but rarely use it same as the hacksaw

Mission successful (Not bad for a Sparky eh!!! :p) Thanks everyone for your help and advice. Have a few more questions about other things wrong with my pipework so expect some more posts!!! Cheers again. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Replacing Zone Valves in the Plumbing Zone area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock