Discuss Replacing hot water system in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Spod

Hi I'm after some impartial advice...

We live in a 2 bed house which we're currently decorating etc.
The house is heated via storage heaters and panels.
There's a cold water tank in the loft fed from the mains that feeds cold water to the bathroom and kitchen.
In the front (Main) bedroom in the cupboard there's an immersion heater with 2 heating elements that you simply turn on if you want hot water but hasn't worked in ages, combination of thermostat and the elements knackered but we want to remove it as it wastes a massive amount of space in the bedroom. This feeds through to the bathroom and kitchen and from what I can see is vented back to the cold water tank in the loft.

Now to the question :)
We want to get rid of the immersion heater from the bedroom and move its replacement somewhere else.
We'd like hot water in the bathroom for sink and very occasional bath plus kitchen and possibly a towel radiator in the bathroom.
Water pressure is fairly good and we run a self heating shower directly off the mains.
Can we put one in the loft? either vented or unvented, the issue with this is loft access through the hatch isn't great and no way of expanding it due to the beams running across which then support the roof. The current cold water tank must of been placed there when the house was built and roof was off.

Thanks in advance :)

whatever you use you need to be able to get it in the loft the hatch can always be extended it may mean trimming the joists
if you go the vented route youll have to mount the water tank above the cylinder on a frame

Would the tank need to be above the cylinder for water pressure reasons? Would a vented system work with a mains fed cylinder, is this possible?

If you are still going to heat your house electrically i.e ecomomy 7. And you want your cylinder in the loft, maybe you should use on of these.
thumb_158180.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes good idea a combination cylinder. You can get a smaller wall mounted model as well, keeps the weight off the ceiling.

So it's doable but need to look at the various models for loft access.

Looking into it you can get oil filled tower rails that are electrically heated so takes the headache off trying to work out how to plumb that in.

Yes!

There are loads of options, both electric and gas. The only thing to bear in mind is mains water pressure and flow. Providing you have enough of both to get into the high point of the system when it's in the roof space you should be okay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Replacing hot water system in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock