Search the forum,

Discuss Replacing a back boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

My house is a 1930's semi with a back boiler behind an old fashioned gas fire in the dining room. It is serviced by B.Gas every year and so far so good. But...I guess it's really uneconomical as my bills are very high and also parts are getting harder to come by. So I need to change but what to? I would like to get rid of the tank in the loft as it takes up a lot of room so I know that rules out conventional system. Breifly we had our bathroom replaced a few years ago by a pair of cowboys and ever since then my water pressure for the shower doesn't seem good. They told me that the water tank wasn't high enough and so moved it to the back of the loft and raised it up on a wooden table they built which takes up so much room. There is a pump up there but the pipework has to run right round the loft to get to the bathroom. They said it needed to be raised for the pressure but I think I was told that all was needed was a gravity pipe? Anyway I'm worried with 4 adults having a shower one after the other that one day the pump's going to fail so that is another reason for looking at alternatives. I read that a combi boiler probably wouldnt be ideal for house with 4 adults in so I'm wondering about the system boiler. I know this means that Ihave to keep the hot water cylinder in the airing cupboard but I understand that the pump is built in. However I also read that if I have a back boiler my CH is likely to be old and changing to a new boiler could mean it can't handle the extra pressure! I can't afford to replace all the pipework let alone the logistics of having a house full to the brim in every room. I know this isn't going to be cheap and I plan to get a few quotes in the springtime (B.Gas will be one) but any unbiased advice rather than just those coming to give me a quote would be welcome. Oh and the main question ...Where would be the best place to put the new boiler particularly as I guess the pipework for the back boiler is in the dining room which is not where I want it. We do have a downstairs wc (where the main water pipe comes in) used to be part of under the stairs. Sorry for this being so long winded but I felt I had to explain the situation as I know that this is likely to be a big job. But I really would like to get rid of the cold tank or if not can it be moved back to a lower level under the eaves more and nearer the bathroom? Thank You.

If you've only got the 1 bathroom then 4 adults will be fine off a combi. If anything it will be beneficial as you don't have to worry about running out of hot water.

Your old system been converted to a pressurised system always poses a risk for leaks. I always tell my customers of this risk but in 14 years I've only had it 3 times where pipes/radiators have burst due to the increased pressure.

My house is a 1930's semi with a back boiler behind an old fashioned gas fire in the dining room. It is serviced by B.Gas every year and so far so good. But...I guess it's really uneconomical as my bills are very high and also parts are getting harder to come by. So I need to change but what to? I would like to get rid of the tank in the loft as it takes up a lot of room so I know that rules out conventional system. Breifly we had our bathroom replaced a few years ago by a pair of cowboys and ever since then my water pressure for the shower doesn't seem good. They told me that the water tank wasn't high enough and so moved it to the back of the loft and raised it up on a wooden table they built which takes up so much room. There is a pump up there but the pipework has to run right round the loft to get to the bathroom. They said it needed to be raised for the pressure but I think I was told that all was needed was a gravity pipe? Anyway I'm worried with 4 adults having a shower one after the other that one day the pump's going to fail so that is another reason for looking at alternatives. I read that a combi boiler probably wouldnt be ideal for house with 4 adults in so I'm wondering about the system boiler. I know this means that Ihave to keep the hot water cylinder in the airing cupboard but I understand that the pump is built in. However I also read that if I have a back boiler my CH is likely to be old and changing to a new boiler could mean it can't handle the extra pressure! I can't afford to replace all the pipework let alone the logistics of having a house full to the brim in every room. I know this isn't going to be cheap and I plan to get a few quotes in the springtime (B.Gas will be one) but any unbiased advice rather than just those coming to give me a quote would be welcome. Oh and the main question ...Where would be the best place to put the new boiler particularly as I guess the pipework for the back boiler is in the dining room which is not where I want it. We do have a downstairs wc (where the main water pipe comes in) used to be part of under the stairs. Sorry for this being so long winded but I felt I had to explain the situation as I know that this is likely to be a big job. But I really would like to get rid of the cold tank or if not can it be moved back to a lower level under the eaves more and nearer the bathroom? Thank You.
Hello Martin.
In all honesty I think the best thing for you to do is get a recommended experienced Heating Engineer to come over, measure up and advise you on what is best. It is difficult on the forum to assess your needs correctly. An Engineer will be able to see where the best site for the new Boiler is going to be. There are many things to consider. They will be able to look at water flow and pressure and advise you on unvented cylinders too. That may be a good option for you.

Well we did replace out cylinder in the airing cupboard with a larger one as we were running out of hot water with 4 showers one after the other (3 of them females!) So it could fit there maybe? but what sort of boiler do you have with this set up..system boiler?

The cylinder could go in your existing airing cupboard, there's more components to them than with your traditional cylinder though so you'll need to make sure it will fit. Follow @Last Plumber advice and get an engineer round to check your water flow and pressure and when he knows that he will then best advise what system will work for you. There's pros and cons to both unvented and and combi systems so get the facts first before deciding which road to go down

Reply to Replacing a back boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
I have a plumber coming tomorrow to change a cartridge on a badly dripping tap on my bathroom mixer unit. There is no separate isolating valve for this tap so I'll have to close the stopcock. I tried closing it today but it won't go absolutely 100% closed and there is still a very slight flow...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock