Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Removing Slip Nut Discussion for University Project in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

John Johnston

Hello UK Plumbers forums community,

I am currently working as a mechanical technician whilst studying Engineering at Open University. I have to come up with a project proposal answering the question of designing or redesigning a component or product for increased usability.

From my experience both at work and home, I have had difficulty loosening slip nuts connecting pipes together under sinks and hard to reach areas in some cases due to lack of access, inability to get a wrench around the nut or the nut seizing etc.

My initial idea for a project proposal is to redesign the slip nut for easier installation and removal that can be retrofitted on to existing plumbing.

However I need to gauge if this is a real life problem not just for myself but for all range of users from professional plumbers to first time DIYers.

Is this a common occurrences, an annoyance or not an issue for people? I wish to hear your opinions and suggestions of this perceived problems.

Many thanks,

John Johnston

By slip nut do you mean the nut on a compression style fitting? Like on an isolation valve etc? If so, its very rare that I am unable to get one undone to be honest. I can see it being more of an issue for DIYers or people with a lack of experience. Interested to see what ideas you would have though, as that's not to say it cant be improved upon.

A few pictures of what you mean may help you get an answer.

as above if you mean standard nut and olive ive only ever struggled with one or two and i got them undone, and if you mean the back nut on a tap, well ive got about 6 different tools to get them off and dont have a problem really, the bigger problem i have is the customers untidy, dirty house where i dont want to touch the walls

We are plumbers, we can do owt, tight nuts no problem !! ( well most of the time lol )

Time for a re think on your project then John going by the above.

Hello All,

Thanks for all the replies especially Radioman lol. This has saved me from going down the wrong path for my project. For clarification, I should of explained myself better and included a picture. It is the slip nut on the flange tailpipe that I would of redesigned for project.

actail.jpg

Thanks for helping me out!

John

The "slip nut" should only be hand tight. If they are tight then a pair of 5 holes does the business. There are already plenty of options out there at the moment.

Basically there are two designs for this. Mainland Europe and North America use a flat flange with a rubber seal secured with a nut that had 2 or 4 lobes to enable hand tightening. The U.K. and RoI use a flange with an internal extension that locates the rubber seal, the nut has either lobes or grips for tightening. I prefer the second system. The biggest issue I have come across it that the securing nut is too deep so not allowing the flange to be tightened enough.

Well, there you go. 30 years in the business, and I never knew it was called a slip-nut.

You learn something every day!

I cant say I have ever had any issues with the slip nut (that's a new one on me too) when either trying to get it to seal or get it undone.

I also have never had a problem with slip nuts. The only thing that can be a problem is the washer or the waste fitting having a poor face.
Plastic nuts are always going to slacken using your hand or set of grips very easily

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Removing Slip Nut Discussion for University Project in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock