Discuss Relocating Combi Boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

nigel13

I am in the process of renovating a house and want to move the valiant combo boiler (NON CONDENSING) that is located in the bedroom down to the kitchen, I have been told that if the boiler is moved to the kitchen then a new condensing boiler has to be installed as a Gas Safe engineer cannot pass off a non condensing boiler, any expert help would be much appreciated.

if your having to pay an engineer to move an old boiler, put in a new one, it takes longer to remove carefully and then rejig into a new position with no templates etc. Pay an extra few hundred which will be set off against a better performing boiler with a guarantee as against an old boiler that wont like being moved as everything is getting older and fragile and are more likely to fail once moved.

I am in the process of renovating a house and want to move the valiant combo boiler (NON CONDENSING) that is located in the bedroom down to the kitchen, I have been told that if the boiler is moved to the kitchen then a new condensing boiler has to be installed as a Gas Safe engineer cannot pass off a non condensing boiler, any expert help would be much appreciated.
Thats a new one on me, Ive got a job on Monday relocating a combi from the bathroom to the loft :confused::eek:. Il check with Gas safe helpline tommorow unless anybody here knows for sure.

I have mounted the boiler on the wall in the kitchen ready to be piped up, it was one of my friends who mentioned that a gas safe engineer can only connect and sign off a condensing boiler and not a non condensing boiler. The boliler was first installed in 2004, The house is being renovated to sell on so dont really want to layout more money.

oh'er, done a few of these before too.
but who's paying?.
Yeah, I cant see what the problem is, as long as youve got the MI instructions :confused: and its fitted correctly whos gonna know?. Id have to draw the line somwhere I suppose , I wouldnty for instance re-fit anything that didnt have a powered flue/was in bad shape, but a 5yr old combi I would/have.

If i dont get it passed by gas safe and get th certificate i may get problems selling the house?

If i dont get it passed by gas safe and get th certificate i may get problems selling the house?
Nigel are you renting it out or selling it? If renting you need a landlord cert, if selling you shouldnt need anything
From 1st April 2005 CORGI introduced it's 'Complete Safety Initiative', new scheme whereby the installation of any new or replacement heat producing gas appliance in a residential dwelling must be notified to CORGI making your home a safer place and making it more difficult for bogus gas engineers to continue working.

Its not a new or replacement boiler is it, so Corgi wont need to be notified and you wont need one of those compliance certs.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am hoping to sell it on once its finished
Nigel, heres what Id do, get a gas safe reg plumber to relocate your boiler safely to the kitchen or where ever, sell the house, how are the new owners going to know that the boiler wasnt fitted in the kitchen back in 2004?. I cant see that you or a GSR engineer are doing anything wrong in the first place.

no its not a new or replacement one, it was orginal installed in 2004 and has a corgi number on when it was installed we are just moving it to a different location in the house, it actually going into a kitchen extension we have just had built that was built to building regs as we did not need planning i just hope the building inspector is ok with it once he visits to pass of the extension.

Having moved a boiler recently,, I checked with gas safe, re notification, they were happy not required just moving along the wall but room to room a whole new ball game and they wanted notification. re building regs, if he/she switched on they will pick up its non condensing and so will any new owners if they are on the ball, ie new extn as per building regs, why is the boiler non condensing!? be wary of bc advice it could cost you a sale. if your just renovating to sell then wack in a cheapo combi, youll have a warranty and notification and guarantee all which a buyer wants and their solicitor is now looking for.More and more solicitors are asking for benchmark tickets.notifications etc and if you dont have this your stuffed, I speak from experience as I also did property development until the world caved in last yr.

thanks for the info oldplumber, any idea how much a cheapo condensing combi would cost and were to get one?

is the extension
Having moved a boiler recently,, I checked with gas safe, re notification, they were happy not required just moving along the wall but room to room a whole new ball game and they wanted notification. re building regs, if he/she switched on they will pick up its non condensing and so will any new owners if they are on the ball, ie new extn as per building regs, why is the boiler non condensing!? be wary of bc advice it could cost you a sale. if your just renovating to sell then wack in a cheapo combi, youll have a warranty and notification and guarantee all which a buyer wants and their solicitor is now looking for.More and more solicitors are asking for benchmark tickets.notifications etc and if you dont have this your stuffed, I speak from experience as I also did property development until the world caved in last yr.

oldplumber you seem to know alot more about it than me, however from reading the regs my interpretation of the rules are if the gas apliance isnt new and or a replacement then you do not need to notify gas safe,? grey area Nigel get somthing in writing from gas safe etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Non Condensing Boiler Move is classed as new installation by regs.It had to be a Condensing boiler after April 2005 :rolleyes:Speak nice to an RGI

Non Condensing Boiler Move is classed as new installation by regs.It had to be a Condensing boiler after April 2005 :rolleyes:Speak nice to an RGI
Owned:eek: :mad: I hate it when Iam wrong. Thing is aswell because the new location is in the new extension you cant get away with pretending that it was installed there originaly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Relocating Combi Boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock