Discuss Refilling Central Heating - Problems to be expected... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jimmy Thew

Hi Guys, First post so be nice. :biggrin5:

I took one of the downstairs living room radiators off for decorating the other day. Since then one has developed a leak at the inflow to the valve. Its only weeping but I think replacing the olive is in order. Plan is to drain the system completely and sort out from there. I'm going to use the opertunity to replace an upstairs bathroom radiator and install a drain-off valve on the kitchen radiator whilst its completely empty. Novice to this so its likely to take me sometime to do.

Its a conventional S plan system and i doubt its been emptied in 10 years so I'm expecting some problems and lots of gunk. I'm hoping for a straight forward refill but it would be just my luck that something will go wrong. My question is what can I expect to go wrong with the refill and how can i minimize the risk of these things during the drain down? I dont want to be without heating or hot water in this weather!

I suspect the pipes are copper 15mm , but I cant tell from looking. Will have to get a ruler out in the morning.

Last edited by a moderator:
open motorised valves on drain/fill. use a doc to fill the system from bottom up, pushes all air up into f & E tank, have some one in attic to tell you when tank is filling and time to turn off water in!

Just realized I will have sucked all the muck in from the F+E Tank when i filled up the radiator that I replaced and drained.

I was planning to do this job on saturday, buy some x400 tomorrow and put it in on Thursday. When adding the x400 to the f+e tank (cant use the rads, myson roundtops), am i correct in thinking that i stop the water going in, drain the tank by bleeding it out of a radiator downstairs, adding the stuff when the tank is low, bleeding unitll its all gone out of the tank and then switching the water back on?

I wouldn't worry too much about it. I've regularly drained and refilled systems that haven't been touched for 10s of years with no issues. My biggest concern would be a blockage in the cold feed from the F+E cistern to the heating system.

Also, if it has been installed correctly, the outlet from the F+E tank should be higher than the base of the cistern, so all crap will settle at the bottom and shouldn't get drawn in to the pipework (in theory!)

I wouldn't worry too much about it. I've regularly drained and refilled systems that haven't been touched for 10s of years with no issues. My biggest concern would be a blockage in the cold feed from the F+E cistern to the heating system.!

If if do find a blockage in the coldfeed, i'll be able to identify that by the F+E tank not draining? In this case the T will need to be cut out and replaced and i'll have to call a plumber to do that bit

use a doc to fill the system from bottom up, pushes all air up into f & E tank, have someone in attic to tell you when tank is filling and time to turn off water in!
When you say use a doc, is that the same as connecting a hose to the *yet to be installed* drain valve then filling up from the bottom. In which case, what order do i need deal with radiators. I can't find a guide to backfilling on google.

Cheers for all the tips so far.

Jim

Hi Guys,
I'm putting of the draining till spring, still need to sort out this weeping trv. I've thought of bunking it and creating a vacume, after looking at the tank there is only two pipes going into the expansion pipe, the cold feed and the mains feed, (there isnt even a overflow :skep:) The hot water expansion pipe runs into the cold water store instead.

If i am to bung to do this job, do i just need to bung the cold feed?

Jim

Bunging the feed and vent should in theory create a vacume and allow you to work on it without draining, but personally I never try it and just freeze instead. If you turn off both radiator valves ( to be safe in case one passes) and freeze the pipe someplace convenient near to your leak you will be able to undo the inlet nut to your weeping valve and replace the olive. You can buy the tins of arctic freeze from most DIY places, don't bother buying the jackets if your only planning on doing it once. Just wrap something adsorbent round the pipe and then gaffa tape round it to seal it, then make a small hole in the jacket you've made and spray into that. I've used a sponge of J cloths before when I stupidly forgot to put my proper kit back on the van.

Well i took the advise and froze the pipe, only had 7" to play with but got the job done. I was a bit unsure of time as the pipe took ages to freeze (far more than the tin suggested) so i PTFE'd the olive :thumbs_down: and put it back together, leaks have stopped.

However i now have weeping where the rad connector joins the valve, despite lots of supergreen joining compound. Any tips on what to do there or does the connector need replacing?

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Refilling Central Heating - Problems to be expected... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P
I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock