Discuss Recommend Combis with very quiet start up in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Searcher2

I have a serial complainer in the flat below the kitchen which contains the combi boiler (in a house I recently bought). As the boiler I inherited is a Ferroli F30 (i.e. old) I thought it was because he could hear the boiler when it was on but it was on constantly the other night and he heard nothing. It transpires that it is the noise of the boiler coming on which keeps him awake.... so it is only really an issue when the boiler is trying to keep a temperature overnight adn repeatedly switches on and off.

I have seen various posts asking which boilers are the quietest in operation but I would like to know which ones are the quietest when they are firing up. The 'in operation' aspect doesn't seem to be an issue. I was originally considering the Ideal Logic+ or Vogue. Does anyone have the experience to know how boilers compare for noise on the start-up aspect? Thanks.

Any new boiler will be a lot quieter than an old noisy boiler...

I'm going to say Worcester or vaillant are pretty quiet

atag or viessmann

The problem with people who complain is,, they complain no matter what.

A new quieter boiler may not be the end of it.

The problem with people who complain is,, they complain no matter what.

A new quieter boiler may not be the end of it.

Very true. However, the boiler is probably about 15 years old so I won't be too upset by having to replace it with a fully warrantied, more efficient one. If I am to replace it I would prefer to buy one which addresses the main issue.

Fitted a Logic plus 30kw combi Friday and customer came out to me when i was in the process of commissioning the boiler.

He was talking to me for about 1/2 hr before he asked when did i think that the boiler was going to be fired up so his wife could have a shower.

Needless to say he was very pleasantly surprised when i mentioned that it had been running all the time he was talking to me and he couldn't even hear it working .

Left the job shortly after with one very happy customer in a toasty house.

Very true. However, the boiler is probably about 15 years old so I won't be too upset by having to replace it with a fully warrantied, more efficient one. If I am to replace it I would prefer to buy one which addresses the main issue.

i'd wait till it breaks down and get a new one then, ive fitted the same boiler in different houses and they've varied in there noise although a new boiler will be a lot quieter than a 15yr old one

i'd wait till it breaks down and get a new one then, ive fitted the same boiler in different houses and they've varied in there noise although a new boiler will be a lot quieter than a 15yr old one
Why wait?

Say it breaks down in the middle of a really cold spell, your desperate for some heating, you end up choosing any boiler without researching, all the good installers are booked up for a couple of weeks... You end up get it installed by the local plumber, he bodges it, it breaks down quicker than it should... The manufacturer refuses to honour the warranty due to the way it's been installed, so your left with no heating again.

I think spending the time now whilst it is still working to find a good quiet boiler and decent installer is a wise move.

What is he hearing, your boiler from within the building or the noise of the flue coming from outside
Most new boilers are quiet when first fitted, they do get a bit noisier with age
However, I came across one of the quietest boilers I've ever heard yesterday, it was an old Icon t
You wouldn't believe it would you......
Mind, it was broken down though:hurray:

What is he hearing, your boiler from within the building or the noise of the flue coming from outside
Most new boilers are quiet when first fitted, they do get a bit noisier with age
However, I came across one of the quietest boilers I've ever heard yesterday, it was an old Icon t
You wouldn't believe it would you......
Mind, it was broken down though:hurray:

I can't see how it would be the noise of the flue coming from outside.... but I may be wrong as I am no heating engineer. The flu is a good 8ft above his bedroom I would say. The wall it goes through is pretty solid stuff - Victorian solid walls.

Why wait?

Say it breaks down in the middle of a really cold spell, your desperate for some heating, you end up choosing any boiler without researching, all the good installers are booked up for a couple of weeks... You end up get it installed by the local plumber, he bodges it, it breaks down quicker than it should... The manufacturer refuses to honour the warranty due to the way it's been installed, so your left with no heating again.

I think spending the time now whilst it is still working to find a good quiet boiler and decent installer is a wise move.

Indeed. I want to be prepared in either event. If I decide to wait until it breaks down or starts costing money I want to know what boiler I want and have someone lined up to install it. One more complication is that it is a holiday let which I want to use myself in the quieter times and it's better to replace the boiler in winter months when there are few bookings.

If it's not from the flue what is he hearing? Does the boiler bump when it ignites? Is the pump too loud?

I wouldn't worry about the noise most boilers are quiet and will definitely be quieter than what you have. I would be looking for the most reliable as the last thing you want is a quiet less reliable boiler in a holiday let.

And as snow head has said they will only find something else to complain about like dropping a pin or something lol.

Just turn the boiler off over night as it's not needed anyway

Not everyone is the same. The last customers put the heating on at 3am at 29C and overrode the schedule to keep it at that setting 24/7. Yet one before that turned it down from the scheduled 21C. There is a difference between 'need' and 'want'.

When the property is empty, even if the heating is switched off there is the frost protection. As the night time is when the temperatures drop the frost protection would mean that the boiler is firing up during the night anyway. Worse than that, if I follow the buildings insurance to the letter, the house has to be kept at 15C minimum if unoccupied for more than 7 days.

If it's not from the flue what is he hearing? Does the boiler bump when it ignites? Is the pump too loud?

I wouldn't worry about the noise most boilers are quiet and will definitely be quieter than what you have. I would be looking for the most reliable as the last thing you want is a quiet less reliable boiler in a holiday let.

And as snow head has said they will only find something else to complain about like dropping a pin or something lol.

Yes - there are 3 main factors. Reliability of the boiler, noise of the start-up and the quality of the installer. Responses here are varied. I have spent some time on this forum and of course everyone has their own opinion but I get the impression that Worcester Bosch aren't as good as they were but their customer service is great. Vaillant similarly are good but I have experience of their support being hard to get hold of. It seems that Ideal, whilst bad in the past, have taken staff from Vaillant and turned things around with the Logic+ and Vogue (and I think the Vogue has parts in common with Vaillant). Others mentioned are Atag,Viessmann and Intergas. I would be a little concerned that Atag are more rare and maybe heating engineers are not as familiar with them. I need to look into the other 2 a bit more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Recommend Combis with very quiet start up in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock