Discuss Rate my business plan in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

I get where you are coming from but isn't that the barrier most have when trying to get into the industry? No one wants you to come with them.

I appreciate all the comments guys it's making me really question who I should be placing my trust in.
Your choice. But do you want to be the engineer that was trained by that other dodgy engineer, or the engineer that struggled at first but is now that awesome engineer? But like I said your choice.

Personally, I feel Harvest's point about sticking with what you have demonstrated you are good at is very pertinent.

Surround yourself with a good, trusted team that you treat well and you will go from strength to strength. Do you properties up t9 a good quality focusing on issues like running costs and environmental impact and you'll build yourself a model difficult to beat today.

Your choice. But do you want to be the engineer that was trained by that other dodgy engineer, or the engineer that struggled at first but is now that awesome engineer? But like I said your choice.
What would be the ideal route for someone in my position then?
Yet we make the conscious effort not to do it, or be a part of it.
Yet we make the conscious effort not to do it, or be a part of it.

Personally, I feel Harvest's point about sticking with what you have demonstrated you are good at is very pertinent.

Surround yourself with a good, trusted team that you treat well and you will go from strength to strength. Do you properties up t9 a good quality focusing on issues like running costs and environmental impact and you'll build yourself a model difficult to beat today.
Thanks for the advice.

Not to blow my own trumpet too much but I've done well over the past 15 years starting from scratch. Over that time I have built up a decent group of tradesmen who do good quality work for me at a fair price. Obviously I've had some bad experiences and have cast a few people aside over the years but have a decent sparky, window fitter, plasterer etc. My maintenance guy has been putting bathrooms, kitchens, and doing other work for me for years now to a good standard. I feel a bit let down now to be honest that he's done work on my gas appliances and had assured me he's OK to do this as his gas safe mate always comes round and checks it over and then gives me the relevant documentation. Don't get me wrong I like a good price but not at the expense of safety. Think I need to find myself a new gas man.

I'd say if you want to do something - do it. Take on whatever course you want to, and see where it leads, but make your own plans and keep them realistic.
I quit my long term delivery jobs last June and am going out alone doing general plumbing jobs already, if you study hard and have a plan you will get there, but I would just go for it.

I'd say if you want to do something - do it. Take on whatever course you want to, and see where it leads, but make your own plans and keep them realistic.
I quit my long term delivery jobs last June and am going out alone doing general plumbing jobs already, if you study hard and have a plan you will get there, but I would just go for it.
Thanks for the advice.

My regular gas man who I've used for years went a similar route to I am thinking. He did an intensive course then went with his dad's mate who was gas safe and got some experience with him before setting up on his own. He doesn't give the intensive training a good review in terms of gaining experience to be able to practically do the job, but he did say it gave him the basics so he was safe working with gas. He then gained the experience he needed of working on different systems whilst on the job with his dad's mate. He said he just did 6 months and then went on his own. He mainly just does services and landlord certs but I know he ticks over nicely and is very busy.

Thanks for the advice.

My regular gas man who I've used for years went a similar route to I am thinking. He did an intensive course then went with his dad's mate who was gas safe and got some experience with him before setting up on his own. He doesn't give the intensive training a good review in terms of gaining experience to be able to practically do the job, but he did say it gave him the basics so he was safe working with gas. He then gained the experience he needed of working on different systems whilst on the job with his dad's mate. He said he just did 6 months and then went on his own. He mainly just does services and landlord certs but I know he ticks over nicely and is very busy.
If doing an intensive course make sure you start doing daily homework now, read lots of books (yes it does help a lot) and gain all the knowledge you can before you even get to the training stage, how else is one expected to do these daft courses and gain from them? It's all up to you.

If doing an intensive course make sure you start doing daily homework now, read lots of books (yes it does help a lot) and gain all the knowledge you can before you even get to the training stage, how else is one expected to do these daft courses and gain from them? It's all up to you.

I think I'd do well because I've got a general interest in learning about anything thats to do with property maintenance. I've self taught myself to do things like tiling after watching hours of YouTube videos at night whilst the Mrs is watching corrie as I've had a genuine interest in learning something and then putting it into practice the next day when working on whatever property I'm renovating. It's soul destroying doing something that you hate. Especially when you genuinely feel you could be a success at something else, only if you applied yourself.

It's time for me to pick a trade and take the time to get good at it. I've got bigger plans longer term but I want my bread and butter to be a trade.

Reply to Rate my business plan in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Article
A Plumber Who Worked Illegally Gets A Suspended Sentence After Falsely Claiming To Be Gas Safe Registered. A Plumber in Herefordshire was...
Replies
Views
B
    • Friendly
Hi, I've followed this excellent forum for several years but have never posted, so decided I'd better give some details. My status is the upper...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock